Visual Studio 2012 crashes on long SSIS component names RRS feed

• Question

• I am upgrading a 2008 r2 SSIS package to 2012 and when I would debug the upgraded package, Visual Studio would crash. What ended up stopping the crash was shortening a very long name on a derived column component. The original length was 183 characters, the new length is 31.

My questions are:

"what is the max character length you can name an SSIS component in Visual Studio 2012?"

"What is the max character length you can name an SSIS component in BIDS 2008 r2?"

and

"Why did this change?"

Monday, August 4, 2014 7:28 PM

Answers

• Hi John,

Per my testing, there is no limitation on the length of component name. I tried to add a Derived Column with name, which has more then 3000 characters in it. It works!

The compoent name is implemented by the DtsLocalizableAttribute.DisplayName property, which is a string object. So, its length is decided by the memory, as there is no explicit limitation on the length.

For the crash, there should have other possible causes. For example, some special characters in the component name.
    To narrow down the issue, could you please help to follow up these actions?

1. Run the package in other servers, check if it works
    2. Rename the component to a long single name(e.g. AAAAAA....), check if it works

In addition, please review the log by event viewer.

Thanks,
    Jinchun Chen

• Marked as answer by Charlie Liao Monday, August 25, 2014 5:20 AM
    Wednesday, August 6, 2014 2:57 AM