SharePoint Intranet Web Application Implementation and Access from multiple office locations situated in different Geographical Locations (Countries) RRS feed

• Question

• Microsoft Office SharePoint Intranet Web Application Architecture for Multiple Geographic Office/Location Implementation and Access

Scenario:

A Financial company based in UK having its offices in different countries would like to have its employee’s access the Company Intranet specific to their Countries hosted and deployed on a two Server Farm in UK without any Network Latency and Performance Bottlenecks.

Problem statement:

There is a requirement of multiple internet sites implementation for difference countries (UK, USA, etc…) of the same organization. All the sites are hosted at single location in UK. However, domain controllers (AD) are placed in the respective country (for example domain controller of USA uses are in USA, UK is in UK). The separation of domain controller (in USA) and hosted web server (in UK) added an extra hub during user authentication, which impacts the home page’s performance. The issue is explained below

To access US site, USA users will be authenticated the link of 1 -> 2 -> 3 -> 4. However, for UK users will be authenticated only through A -> B

Is there any mechanism through which we can reduce the number of hub or improve the home page performance for USA users?

The Client is looking at consolidating and restructuring the domain controllers at the top level / parent domain controller level.

We would like to know if the SharePoint Servers moves to the Parent Domain controller would be right as currently the SharePoint Servers are connected to the Child Domain Controller.

• Edited by Ram Chenna Thursday, January 7, 2010 6:48 AM Changed description
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 6:27 AM

Answers

• Hi Ram,

Sharepoint should pose you no issues while porting from child to parent domain.The AD url would have to be changes and people and groups might needs to be repopulated.
    Regarding performance been slow when using USA AD while working on website hosted at UK, you may lke to replicate the USA AD to UK master. The technology/protocol to be used in this replication has be selected carefully. Following link would guide you who to do in better way. But take a buy in from customer about latency,inconsistancy and stale data issues beforehand.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc755994(WS.10).aspx 

HTH
    Cheers
    Bhaskar
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Don't forget to mark this as answer if this helps you
    • Marked as answer by Ram Chenna Friday, March 9, 2012 8:49 AM
    Friday, January 8, 2010 5:57 AM

All replies

• Hi Ram,

Sharepoint should pose you no issues while porting from child to parent domain.The AD url would have to be changes and people and groups might needs to be repopulated.
    Regarding performance been slow when using USA AD while working on website hosted at UK, you may lke to replicate the USA AD to UK master. The technology/protocol to be used in this replication has be selected carefully. Following link would guide you who to do in better way. But take a buy in from customer about latency,inconsistancy and stale data issues beforehand.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc755994(WS.10).aspx 

HTH
    Cheers
    Bhaskar
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Don't forget to mark this as answer if this helps you
    • Marked as answer by Ram Chenna Friday, March 9, 2012 8:49 AM
    Friday, January 8, 2010 5:57 AM
  • hey bro i need ur email id please respond
    i have some doubts on XACML implementation please help me :)
    Monday, January 11, 2010 10:33 AM
  • hey Bhaskar bro i need ur email id please respond
    i have some doubts on XACML implementation please help me :)
    Monday, January 11, 2010 10:40 AM
  • Hi,

I have created a site using Share Point 2010. I am able to access the site from the Share Point box but not able to access the site from anywhere on the Intranet network. I used to do the same for SharePoint 2007 and it was working fine. But after that we upgraded to Share Point 2010 and i created a new site. But I am not able to access that site from any other machine on the network.

Please help me.

Thanks,

Vivek

Tuesday, December 7, 2010 7:59 PM