none
Meaning of .NET ~ is it an acronym? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello to All and just wondering if there is a meaning to .NET. I understand the CLI, CIL, VES, JIT. I am learning the basics and with all the jargon, cannot find what .NET stands for. The ASP in ASP.NET stands for "Active Server Pages" so this leads me to believe that .NET stands for something. I am guesting " Network of Engineered Technolegies"?? I understand the Framework Class Libraries and how it saves my time or handles some processes for you. Makeing development easier, just a newbie wondering if it was an abbreviation of what. Thanks for any explainations ...Peace.....

Mr. William Rutkowski

• Edited by budski82 Friday, November 4, 2016 9:10 PM
    Friday, November 4, 2016 9:09 PM

Answers

• Hi William,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

.NET is a general purpose development platform. It can be used for any kind of app type or workload where general purpose solutions are used. It has several key features that are attractive to many developers, including automatic memory management and modern programming languages, that make it easier to efficiently build high-quality apps. Multiple implementations of .NET are available, based on open .NET Standards that specify the fundamentals of the platform.

Please refer to here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff361664%28v=vs.110%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

.NET is a blanket term that tends to cover both the .NET Framework (an application framework library) and the Common Language Runtime which is the runtime in which .NET assemblies are run.

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by budski82 Thursday, November 10, 2016 4:05 PM
    Monday, November 7, 2016 5:26 AM

All replies

• Hi William,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

.NET is a general purpose development platform. It can be used for any kind of app type or workload where general purpose solutions are used. It has several key features that are attractive to many developers, including automatic memory management and modern programming languages, that make it easier to efficiently build high-quality apps. Multiple implementations of .NET are available, based on open .NET Standards that specify the fundamentals of the platform.

Please refer to here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff361664%28v=vs.110%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

.NET is a blanket term that tends to cover both the .NET Framework (an application framework library) and the Common Language Runtime which is the runtime in which .NET assemblies are run.

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by budski82 Thursday, November 10, 2016 4:05 PM
    Monday, November 7, 2016 5:26 AM
  • Thank you for taking the time to provide and explanation. In my mind with so many other acronyms involved with this, I assumed it was one more. Thanks again and ...Peace.....

Mr. William Rutkowski

Thursday, November 10, 2016 4:09 PM