none
RAID 10 using Azure Geo-replication ?

Question

• I read that striping disks and enabling geo-replication was a bad idea.  Is this refering to any type of striping or only striping without mirror or parity ?  I am wanting to use RAID 10.
    Saturday, June 27, 2015 7:47 AM

Answers

• Hi,

As Sadiqh mentioned earlier it's a common scenario to use software RAID on Linux virtual machines in Azure to present multiple attached data disks as a single RAID device. Typically this can be used to improve performance and allow for improved throughput compared to using just a single disk.
    In the standard tier of virtual machine in Azure, the maximum IOPS is 500 per disk. When planning for a high I/O virtual machine, you might need to attach multiple disks to your VM and set the number of columns (The number of physical disks data is striped across).
    You could refer the following link for details:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/mast/archive/2014/10/14/configuring-azure-virtual-machines-for-optimal-storage-performance.aspx

However, other than that, in general using RAID on a Backup vault or a Storage disk should not be necessary as Azure storage already provides replication and high-availability.

Regards,
    Malar.

Tuesday, June 30, 2015 6:15 AM

All replies