none
Tablet PC's and Terminal Services RRS feed

• Question

• We're trying to utilize the recognizer in a terminal services environment with the tablet pc acting as a thin client, but can't figure out how to do this.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Friday, June 22, 2007 7:41 PM

Answers

• We use Tablet PC under Term Services successfully. The main point is to first open the Tablet PC Input Panel and Dock it THEN open your term serv session. Keep the term serv session "boxed", don't maximize it.

You lose some Tablet functionality such as being able to opening the Input Panel by clicking in a text field, but other than that it works fine.

Current config:

Term Services using Server 2003

Win XP Tablet

Friday, February 8, 2008 4:52 PM

All replies

• Hi,

can you clarify what you mean by 'utilize the recognizer'? Are you referring to using the Tablet PC Input Panel utility - or to calling the recognition API from your application?

Thanks,

Stefan

Microsoft - Windows Experience

Sunday, June 24, 2007 1:35 PM
  • Although the post was not made towards me, I will respond.  We are in the situation you are describing.  We just got TERMINAL SERVER ( on a Small Business Server ) and we love it.  We went to 100% Tablet PC's about 4 years ago and love them as well.  But we cant get them to LOVE each other!  Out Tablet PC functions ( writing, etc ) are not available when in Terminal Server. 

Is there anyway to make this work?

THanks
    Monday, July 9, 2007 9:42 PM
  • Hi.

What configuration are you using, and what functionality, exactly, isn't working?

Are you using:

• A non-Tablet PC Terminal Serving into a Tablet PC?
    • A Tablet PC into another Tablet PC?
    • A Tablet PC into a non-Tablet PC?

If you are using a Tablet PC Terminal Serving into a non-Tablet PC (or even a Tablet PC), you should be able to get mouse inking in your ink-enabled applications. 

Thanks,

Eliot - MSFT

Monday, August 27, 2007 5:47 PM
  •  

We are using a non-Tablet PC for the terminal service and using our tablet pc's to log into the terminal server.

All inking capabilities are non functional when the tablet pcs log into terminal server.

For example:  Using Office 2003, we cannot get any of the inking functions to work.  I tried to view the INKING toolbars but they arent even listed so I cant even select them.

Also, my pen does work under the terminal environment.  Another words, I can use my pen as a mouse but I cannot ink in Office.  I guess Ill try to download another ink enabled application and see if that works.

I hope this makes sense becuase I could really use a solution.  I appreciate the fact that you answered my post after all this time.....

Thanks again

Jesse

Monday, August 27, 2007 6:14 PM
  • Hi Jesse.

What you are saying makes sense, but it's not a supported scenario. When you use Terminal Server to use a computer, you remotely connect to that computer.  The computer you connect to cannot take advantage of your digitizer on the local Tablet PC.

You should see (mouse) inking if you use an application like Journal on the remote computer, but any application (such as with Office) that is "clever" and turns features on or off depending on if it detects the Tablet PC functionality, won’t light those inking features up.

As you've noticed, Tablet PC Input Panel functionality is very limited through terminal server. With Vista, you can launch Input Panel on the local machine via the Input Panel tab. You can then access handwriting and the soft keyboard. However, much of the handwriting recognition is less accurate than a local Tablet PC. The Input Panel icon (that appears next to a text box, for instance), Auto-spacing, and post-insertion correction do not work, either.

If your Tablet PCs are running Windows XP Tablet PC Edition, you can launch Input Panel by using the shake gesture. However, with Windwos XP Tablet PC Edition, you may see UI corruption when an application on the terminal server scrolls when behind Input Panel.

Although it also is not a supported scenarion, you might want to see what happens if you use a Tablet PC running Windows Vista Ultimate as the remote computer. I haven't tried it, but you may get better results than you are seeing now.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Eliot Graff - MSFT

Monday, August 27, 2007 10:05 PM
  •  

Understood.....I have been reading that there are ways to "fool" your terminal server into thinking it a tablet PC and therefore allowing OFFICE to turn on the inking capabilities...

Has you heard of this?  If so, do you have any links, info that would help me?

Thanks again

Monday, August 27, 2007 10:10 PM
  • Okay how about this....what if I bought a external digital pen and pad ( I've seen them at Fry's etc ), installed it for terminal server, reinstall office to get the inking capabilities, and then used the TABLET PC like i always do through terminla server.  This would, I think, allow me to ink in office.

Of course the problem would be is finding a pen and pad that work for terminal server...

What do you think?

Monday, August 27, 2007 10:27 PM
  • I think it might be wirth a try. Please send me mail at eliotgraATmicrosoft.com

Eliot - MSFT

Monday, August 27, 2007 11:00 PM
  • I have the same issue.  I have a scenario where I run an application on terminal server using tablets for input.  Unfortunately the ink controls/recogition does not work.  I am curious if the external digitizer provided a reasonable workaround.  If not, any other ideas?

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 3:57 PM
  • Hi PulseInc.

I am afraid that even if the other method does work, you are probably going to get inferior recognition results. The ink sent across will use mouse samplings rather than digitizer sampling rates, reducing the fidelity of the ink. If you contact me at the address in my previous post, I may be able to help you some.

Why not do a web-based solution? Ink and ink controls can be used effectively in web apps, tying into the back end. Persisting Ink on the Web has some handy tips, and you might also want to look at www.thedatafarm.com.

I hope that this helps.

Eliot - MSFT

Friday, December 7, 2007 7:03 PM
  • We use Tablet PC under Term Services successfully. The main point is to first open the Tablet PC Input Panel and Dock it THEN open your term serv session. Keep the term serv session "boxed", don't maximize it.

You lose some Tablet functionality such as being able to opening the Input Panel by clicking in a text field, but other than that it works fine.

Current config:

Term Services using Server 2003

Win XP Tablet

Friday, February 8, 2008 4:52 PM