none
Access 2016 vs 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,  I have created an application with Access 2013, then completed it on another station with Access2016.  When I put it back on the Access 2013 workstation, the database does not open and I am told to upgrade to a newer version of access.  ???  Othe than the Large Number issue (That did not solve anything, what else to remove/change from my Access 2016 version to make it work on a Access 2013 Environment?  I tried without success to install Access Runtime 2016 on the workstation.

Thanks

Yvan

Monday, March 26, 2018 3:42 PM

All replies

• Hi Yvan,

It might also depend on what you changed while using 2016. In the past, adding a Layout, used in newer versions, could render the file unreadable to older versions.

Just a thought...

Monday, March 26, 2018 3:46 PM
  • You can't go backwards. I experienced what you describe, just by opening the db, it made some internal change that then made it incompatible with 2013. You always have to do all your development using the oldest version of Access that will be used to run the database, so in your case 2013. Then you deploy a copy to 2016, but never allow them to touch the master dev copy of the database. When this does occur, you need to create a new blank 2013 db and try to import everything back. It that doesn't work there's always the SaveAsText/LoadFromText approach.

Daniel Pineault, 2010-2017 Microsoft MVP
    Professional Support: http://www.cardaconsultants.com
    MS Access Tips and Code Samples: http://www.devhut.net

• Proposed as answer by ProcessIT Tuesday, March 27, 2018 2:38 AM
    Monday, March 26, 2018 5:01 PM
  • You will not be able to run a file developed and compiled in 2016 on a machine that has an earlier version. Software is not forward compatibile, only backward. Always do your developing and compiling in the earliest version because a version 2016 can use a 2013 file but not the other way around. Since your new version is 2016, you will need to continue to develop and compile in that version.
    Monday, March 26, 2018 5:12 PM