Azure recovery from different server RRS feed

• Question

• I've connected my DPM 2012 server to Windows Azure, uploaded a certificate and are now starting to use this service. 

The DPM server database will be included in online backups.

I wonder, in a disaster scenario, will I be able to download the DPM database to a different server, then install and restore DPM and recover the rest of my online recovery points using that server ? 

O

Monday, May 6, 2013 8:53 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The short answer is yes, but in the current release you must use "Windows Azure Backup" to do the restore.

You can use Windows Powershell to recover a DPM backup from azure using Windows Azure backup agent.

See the new announcement at the top of this forum for details.

Once restored, you can rebuild the DPM Server using the same machine name and install the same DPM QFE's - then replace the DB with the restored DB and run dpmsync -sync to get the DPM server back in production.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, May 6, 2013 8:14 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The short answer is yes, but in the current release you must use "Windows Azure Backup" to do the restore.

You can use Windows Powershell to recover a DPM backup from azure using Windows Azure backup agent.

See the new announcement at the top of this forum for details.

Once restored, you can rebuild the DPM Server using the same machine name and install the same DPM QFE's - then replace the DB with the restored DB and run dpmsync -sync to get the DPM server back in production.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, May 6, 2013 8:14 PM
  • Glad to see this question posted and answered. After reading through the MSDN documentation today it wasn't clear if and how a restore could be done with only cloud data (building burns down, all servers toast).
    Monday, August 12, 2013 9:42 PM
  • Mike,

It has been a few years since this post.  I have read a little from other posts and I am getting the impression that DPM 2012 R2 UR7+ has better features for restoring a DPM database and server that has been backed up to Azure, and now needs to be recovered from a disaster.  Can you update us on how this procedure would look?

Thank you for supporting us in this forum!

Dave

PS: Just in case nothing has changed, I am studying your article, here: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/dpm/2014/09/08/how-to-protect-your-data-protection-manager-sql-database/
    Monday, April 4, 2016 8:33 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, you are correct - DPM 2012 R2 UR7 introduced the ability to use an alternative DPM server to recover from Azure Backup Vault, so you no longer need to use a Windows Server with Azure agent to recover a DPMDB recovery point.

See detailed steps in KB 3065246 – Update Rollup 7 for System Center 2012 R2 Data Protection Manager

Once you restore the DPMDB files from the Azure backup to the problematic DPM Server then continue with the manual restore process using dpmsync.exe commands.

Tuesday, April 5, 2016 5:51 PM