none
Mouse over Hyperlink text RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys, how can I REMOVE the mouse over hyperlink propperties on my website?  See how terrible it looks

Monday, July 5, 2010 2:10 PM

Answers

• You have no styles that define what the links should look like. You need to do some homework and learn the basics of css. There are numerous tutorials around. Try http://www.w3schools.com/css/default.asp for a start. Go slowly, you wont regret the time you spend.

Two other things that need looking at are the use of non-standard fonts, which mean that some users won't see what you intend, and the use of content imported straight from Word, which brings a whole load of rubbish which is a) difficult to control and b) will break in some browsers.

HTH

Ian Haynes

EW V4 Add-Ins
    EW resources, hints and tips
    Monday, July 5, 2010 2:44 PM
  • Well, you can't remove them, otherwise people wouldn't know how to navigate your site.

Start over. I don't say that lightly (or often), but the site is an unmanageable horror of invalid code. I also have a feeling that you haven't looked at this in any computer but your own. Do that, and look at the other problems you'll see.

It has an invalid DOCTYPE which was generated by MS Word for the MacIntosh (and maybe Publisher). (<html xmlns:m="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" xmlns:v="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" xmlns:o="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office">) That means nothing to a browser.

It makes no difference--no difference at all--what font you want to display in your site; if that font isn't installed on the visitors's computer, they won't see it. Their browser will drop back to their default font (usually Arial or Times New Roman on Windows computers), because you have specified non-standard fonts and fonts that are installed only on teh newest operating systems and versions of Office.

I don't know what you want to display on the Marketing page for bullets, but I'm seeing:
    v How those group...
    v How each of the...
    v How much the...
    I bet you aren't really trying to use teh letter "v" as a bullet. And Californian FB looks like doo-doo in those small sizes on a monitor.

And stop centering everything; it's so hard to read.

The site is full of stuff that comes from pasting directly from Word. You cannot do that. This (from Word) is ridiculous:
    <span style="font-size:18.0pt;
    line-height:115%;
    font-family:Onyx;
    mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-bidi-font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;;
    mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;
    mso-ansi-language:EN-ZA;
    mso-fareast-language:EN-US;
    mso-bidi-language:AR-SA"
    >
    </span>

The site is full of that junk (which specifies 4 different fonts for different languages, and oddly says that teh far east language should be US English!). Read the code; things like "margin-bottom: .0001pt" are nonsensical in the web world. First off, points are for print, not web browsers, and trying to measure anything down to one ten-thousandth of a .pt is ludicrous. The site is loaded with code that is as pointless as that.

There's lots and lots more. So much more, that it's not worth fixing. Start over.

But first, learn how to use EW, learn HTML and CSS. It's apparent that you are working in the Design Pane, clicking blindly trying to format stuff (that's why you have a bajillion style9, style5, etc.). Learn why Wingdings don't work on the web., learn about font families, charsets, DOCTYPE. Learn how to lay the site out using DIVs instead of the deprecated tables you are using.

HTML and CSS ain't rocket science; you can get a basic grasp easily enough with the tutorials at w3schools, then hop over to by-expression.com and take Cheryl's tutorial that shows you how to use EW and HTML and CSS. Work along with her by dowlnoading teh resources after you watch it through once. All those resources are in the BEFORE POSTING sticky post at the top of this forum.

You must also learn about handicapped accessibility. In the US, companies have been sued for not having accessible websites. If South Africa has similar laws and that happens to one of your clients, they will, in turn, come after you. You'll be out of business in a blink. And even if that never happens, selling sites with dreck code is wrong. You have a responsibility to your clients to learn how to do this correctly before you charge for the service. You absolutely cannot charge clients for sites assembled like this.

Oh, and the reason your links are doing that when someone hovers is because you told them to that; it's buried in the horrific styling splattered all over the site (or possibly the proper style was deleted). But the styling is such a mess of conflicts that I didn't try to narrow it down.

I dream of a better world...a world in which a chicken can cross the road without its motives being questioned.

Monday, July 5, 2010 3:12 PM
  • Buddy old son, you might want to take a step back for a while. If I were in the market for a Web developer, cheap or otherwise, one look at your site would have me running the other way as fast as possible. (Actually, just clicking away to find an actual Web developer.) There are so many things wrong with it that it's hard to find a place to start, and that's without even looking under the covers at the markup and CSS. If you expect visitors to contemplate paying $65US per page (R500 = $64.49 today) for a template-based site that has been completely mucked up by an inexperienced developer, well, good luck with that.

Take Bill's advice. Web development is NOT something that anybody can just hang out a shingle and go to work at. Contrary to what you may have heard, it is not desktop-publishing-for-the-Web. There is an entire body of knowledge of HTML and CSS that underlies successful Web development. Drawing a page in Word or Publisher and tossing it on the Web, or even buying a template and filling it with copy/pasted Word content, ain't gonna hack it. Put on your learning cap and get yourself a foundation before you consider selling your services, for any price.

cheers,
    scott

P.S. Bill's got it right about your funky hover action, too. You've got an a:hover selector that sets the color to #18adf9, size to 11px, and text-decoration to none. With possession of a clue or two about Web development, you could probably find that for yourself, and fix it. You really do want to consider learning something about the technologies underlying what you are undertaking. Just sayin'... ;-)

C'mon, folks. This isn't rocket science, nor neurosurgery. It's "Expression" (singular ) "Web" (singular ), in that order, followed by a version numeral if you wish to be specific. It is often abbreviated "EW." It is not "Web Expression," "Expressions Web," "Web Expressions," or plain "Expression" or "Expressions." Not using the correct name indicates either ignorance or laziness. Most folks would rather avoid the appearance of either.
    Monday, July 5, 2010 7:00 PM

All replies

• You have no styles that define what the links should look like. You need to do some homework and learn the basics of css. There are numerous tutorials around. Try http://www.w3schools.com/css/default.asp for a start. Go slowly, you wont regret the time you spend.

Two other things that need looking at are the use of non-standard fonts, which mean that some users won't see what you intend, and the use of content imported straight from Word, which brings a whole load of rubbish which is a) difficult to control and b) will break in some browsers.

HTH

Ian Haynes

EW V4 Add-Ins
    EW resources, hints and tips
    Monday, July 5, 2010 2:44 PM
  • Well, you can't remove them, otherwise people wouldn't know how to navigate your site.

Start over. I don't say that lightly (or often), but the site is an unmanageable horror of invalid code. I also have a feeling that you haven't looked at this in any computer but your own. Do that, and look at the other problems you'll see.

It has an invalid DOCTYPE which was generated by MS Word for the MacIntosh (and maybe Publisher). (<html xmlns:m="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" xmlns:v="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" xmlns:o="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office">) That means nothing to a browser.

It makes no difference--no difference at all--what font you want to display in your site; if that font isn't installed on the visitors's computer, they won't see it. Their browser will drop back to their default font (usually Arial or Times New Roman on Windows computers), because you have specified non-standard fonts and fonts that are installed only on teh newest operating systems and versions of Office.

I don't know what you want to display on the Marketing page for bullets, but I'm seeing:
    v How those group...
    v How each of the...
    v How much the...
    I bet you aren't really trying to use teh letter "v" as a bullet. And Californian FB looks like doo-doo in those small sizes on a monitor.

And stop centering everything; it's so hard to read.

The site is full of stuff that comes from pasting directly from Word. You cannot do that. This (from Word) is ridiculous:
    <span style="font-size:18.0pt;
    line-height:115%;
    font-family:Onyx;
    mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-bidi-font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;;
    mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;
    mso-ansi-language:EN-ZA;
    mso-fareast-language:EN-US;
    mso-bidi-language:AR-SA"
    >
    </span>

The site is full of that junk (which specifies 4 different fonts for different languages, and oddly says that teh far east language should be US English!). Read the code; things like "margin-bottom: .0001pt" are nonsensical in the web world. First off, points are for print, not web browsers, and trying to measure anything down to one ten-thousandth of a .pt is ludicrous. The site is loaded with code that is as pointless as that.

There's lots and lots more. So much more, that it's not worth fixing. Start over.

But first, learn how to use EW, learn HTML and CSS. It's apparent that you are working in the Design Pane, clicking blindly trying to format stuff (that's why you have a bajillion style9, style5, etc.). Learn why Wingdings don't work on the web., learn about font families, charsets, DOCTYPE. Learn how to lay the site out using DIVs instead of the deprecated tables you are using.

HTML and CSS ain't rocket science; you can get a basic grasp easily enough with the tutorials at w3schools, then hop over to by-expression.com and take Cheryl's tutorial that shows you how to use EW and HTML and CSS. Work along with her by dowlnoading teh resources after you watch it through once. All those resources are in the BEFORE POSTING sticky post at the top of this forum.

You must also learn about handicapped accessibility. In the US, companies have been sued for not having accessible websites. If South Africa has similar laws and that happens to one of your clients, they will, in turn, come after you. You'll be out of business in a blink. And even if that never happens, selling sites with dreck code is wrong. You have a responsibility to your clients to learn how to do this correctly before you charge for the service. You absolutely cannot charge clients for sites assembled like this.

Oh, and the reason your links are doing that when someone hovers is because you told them to that; it's buried in the horrific styling splattered all over the site (or possibly the proper style was deleted). But the styling is such a mess of conflicts that I didn't try to narrow it down.

I dream of a better world...a world in which a chicken can cross the road without its motives being questioned.

Monday, July 5, 2010 3:12 PM
  • Buddy old son, you might want to take a step back for a while. If I were in the market for a Web developer, cheap or otherwise, one look at your site would have me running the other way as fast as possible. (Actually, just clicking away to find an actual Web developer.) There are so many things wrong with it that it's hard to find a place to start, and that's without even looking under the covers at the markup and CSS. If you expect visitors to contemplate paying $65US per page (R500 = $64.49 today) for a template-based site that has been completely mucked up by an inexperienced developer, well, good luck with that.

Take Bill's advice. Web development is NOT something that anybody can just hang out a shingle and go to work at. Contrary to what you may have heard, it is not desktop-publishing-for-the-Web. There is an entire body of knowledge of HTML and CSS that underlies successful Web development. Drawing a page in Word or Publisher and tossing it on the Web, or even buying a template and filling it with copy/pasted Word content, ain't gonna hack it. Put on your learning cap and get yourself a foundation before you consider selling your services, for any price.

cheers,
    scott

P.S. Bill's got it right about your funky hover action, too. You've got an a:hover selector that sets the color to #18adf9, size to 11px, and text-decoration to none. With possession of a clue or two about Web development, you could probably find that for yourself, and fix it. You really do want to consider learning something about the technologies underlying what you are undertaking. Just sayin'... ;-)

C'mon, folks. This isn't rocket science, nor neurosurgery. It's "Expression" (singular ) "Web" (singular ), in that order, followed by a version numeral if you wish to be specific. It is often abbreviated "EW." It is not "Web Expression," "Expressions Web," "Web Expressions," or plain "Expression" or "Expressions." Not using the correct name indicates either ignorance or laziness. Most folks would rather avoid the appearance of either.
    Monday, July 5, 2010 7:00 PM
  • I'm probably going to offend you but you shouldn't be charging anyone for a website until you learn something about creating a website that works cross browser. Sorry but telling you  how to fix the problem you are having would be to encourage you to think you should provide websites. You could do a better job with CoffeeCup or some other WYSIWYG editor that has very limited choices in what you create.

Go spend time with the resources in the Before Posting sticky. work your way through the tutorials there and then start over. You will find that your question is answered in those tutorials.

MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com
    • Edited by Cheryl D Wise Tuesday, July 6, 2010 12:13 AM fixed typo
    Tuesday, July 6, 2010 12:04 AM
  • Hey Buddy,

I got the same advice from Cheryl and a few others about 2years ago.  And they are absolutely correct in what they say.  Our society is so into this easier softer way thing that no one wants to do the work anymore all they want is the reward.  But in this case it is more involved than it seems It is more than selling somone something that you yourself did not create and do not understand but the legal  remaifcations that your clients could be exposed to in the area of internet security and your lack of knowwledge of same is trmendous.  YOu could be charged with a federal crime not to mention the exposerure of unnumersable people that could be victimized  by using the sitte that you sold to someone.  I am just saying learn to do it the right way.  Your will be more proud of your accomplishmnets and your work will be backed by integrety.  Plus you get to learn all the cool stuff that is out there. Thing like css, java script, php, and other designer deveveloper langauges you can be part of what I aam finding to be a brother/sisterhood of folks that are dedicated to this stuff.  But until you do the work your just gonna be another of the millions of wannabes who claim to be a wevbdesighner developer and don't have a clue.

HTH and I do not mean to offend,

MIKE E

"It's like déjà vu all over again." — Yogi Berra
    • Edited by ebermed Tuesday, July 6, 2010 9:37 PM had wrong neme as reference
    Tuesday, July 6, 2010 8:47 PM
  • Hi all,

Thank you for all your comments and input.  All of you went to great lenghts to explain your opinion.  I'll surely follow your suggestions and start working on my staff's skills levels.

Monday, July 12, 2010 10:58 AM