Touch not working in HP Touchsmart 420t

Question

• I have a HP TouchSmart 420t and installed Windows 8 developer preview in a new partition. The touch is not working at all in windows 8, whereas it is working in windows 7. HP has a windows 7 driver "NextWindow Voltron Touch Screen ", when I intalled in windows 8, it does not complete the installation and complains on the OS version. I unpacked the self extracting file to check if there is any install without the os check - unfortunately there is none!

Any help is appreciated!

Is there a recommended list of ALLINONE TOUCH computers for which people have tested windows 8 and found to be working fine with multi touch ?

Thursday, October 27, 2011 11:56 AM

All replies

• when I intalled in windows 8, it does not complete the installation and complains on the OS version.

If the drivers don't install, try installing them in compatibility mode.

Troubleshoot Compatibility

This can help with some (but not all) programs/drivers:
    1) Uninstall the program if it's already installed. Then when you install/reinstall it instead of double clicking on the install file right click it and select "Troubleshoot Compatibility"
    2) Then click "Try Recommended Settings" and in the next windows click "Start the Program" to install it.
    3) After it installs see if it works correctly. Please note - some programs may not be able to run in Windows 8.

Since Windows 8 has not been released yet not all drivers are going to work with it. Some drivers are very specific about the operating system version, so you might have to wait until they release Windows 8 drivers (if they make them for your model). Some drivers might be available using Windows update.

Thursday, October 27, 2011 3:52 PM
  • Hello Jag20,

There is not a receommended list of Touch computers, however there is a list of computers on which Microsoft has tested Windows Developer Preview.
    Look at the following link for: Experiencing Windows 8 touch on Windows 7 hardware

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/13/experiencing-windows-8-touch-on-windows-7-hardware.aspx

Hope this helps.

Marilyn
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 5:08 PM