ATI External Event Utility consumes 95 - 100% CPU power

Question

• Sometimes when I start up, my system is slowed down to a crawl. If I open Task Manager it shows Ati External Event Utility consuming between 95%-100% cpu power.

Does anybody know what might trigger this.

Ending the Process stops the service and returns the system to normal operational speed.

Original Title: Catalyst CC
    Wednesday, December 07, 2011 9:11 AM

Answers

• Hi Irfan,

I have looked on an AMD ganes forum and they say that the External Event Utility is just a HotKey Poller which I don't use anyway so I have disabled it. Time will tell if this solves the issue.

Wednesday, December 07, 2011 9:27 PM
  • Catalyst Control Center should not be installed into Windows 8. It's outdated.

Vladimir Shipitsyn
    Thursday, December 08, 2011 10:43 AM
  • On the strength of the most recent messages I have decided to uninstall the Catalyst Control Centre and see what difference I notice, if any. I don't  really know what power optimisations were in the CCC but I doubt I will miss them.

A week has gone by since I uninstalled the CCC and all is well. I did not use the tools in the CCC so the Windows control of the video is just fine.

I will mark this an an answer.

• Marked as answer by Silverpulser Saturday, December 17, 2011 11:33 AM
    Saturday, December 17, 2011 11:33 AM

All replies

• Silverpulser,

What Operating System are you running? 

Thanks,

Chris
    Wednesday, December 07, 2011 2:21 PM
  • Welcome back Silverpulser

Andre.Ziegler's post on a related issue might help you:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/cf8f790c-66c9-44f8-aae1-ff44cd3fab36/

Irfan
    Wednesday, December 07, 2011 3:27 PM
  • Look in your Windows System Event Log and see if you have a lot informational events from amdkmdag.

If so, try changing the eRecordEnable value in the registry at the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Atierecord:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Atierecord]
    "eRecordEnable"=dword:00000000

Setting this value to 0 stops a huge number of events from being written into your system log. Note that every ATI driver update seems to re-enable this setting, so you'll have to remember to re-apply this change if you update the driver.

-Noel

• Edited by Noel Carboni Wednesday, December 07, 2011 6:59 PM Added line spacing; the style setup here is far too cramped
    Wednesday, December 07, 2011 6:57 PM
  • Chris - Support_Engineer

Windows 8 Developer Preview. Using a Vista ati driver and Catalyst CC. No such issues on my Vista Home Premium running on the same Acer Aspire 5050 with Amd Turion64 mobile Mk36 processor.

• Edited by Silverpulser Wednesday, December 07, 2011 9:31 PM
    Wednesday, December 07, 2011 9:23 PM
  • Hi Irfan,

I have looked on an AMD ganes forum and they say that the External Event Utility is just a HotKey Poller which I don't use anyway so I have disabled it. Time will tell if this solves the issue.

Wednesday, December 07, 2011 9:27 PM
  • Catalyst Control Center should not be installed into Windows 8. It's outdated.

Vladimir Shipitsyn
    Thursday, December 08, 2011 10:43 AM
  • You may be right chipvlad, because the drivers released by ATI for WDP recently do not contain Catalyst Control Center.
    Irfan
    Thursday, December 08, 2011 3:24 PM
  • On the strength of the most recent messages I have decided to uninstall the Catalyst Control Centre and see what difference I notice, if any. I don't  really know what power optimisations were in the CCC but I doubt I will miss them.
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 3:11 PM

A week has gone by since I uninstalled the CCC and all is well. I did not use the tools in the CCC so the Windows control of the video is just fine.

I will mark this an an answer.

• Marked as answer by Silverpulser Saturday, December 17, 2011 11:33 AM
    Saturday, December 17, 2011 11:33 AM