none
Opening 2010 or older Excel file with VBA project error message. RRS feed

• Question

• "Opening the VBA project in this file requires a component that is not currently installed. This file will be opened without the VBA project. For more information, search Microsoft Office Online for "VBA converters."

I see other articles that starts with opening file in original version.  I don't have access to one. 

Sunday, March 20, 2016 4:39 PM

Answers

• Re:  opening an Excel file from MS project

Your problem description is open to interpretation...
      You must have an instance of Excel installed on the computer that is opening the Excel file,
        or the free Excel Viewer (a MS download) can be used to read the file.

An Excel file, containing VBA code, must be opened/saved as a .xlsm file (in xl2010 + versions) or you lose the code.
      Older Office/Excel applications, using an install disk, require the user to specify that VBA is to be installed.
      Maybe, your Office application does not have VBA installed?
      I don't know what install options the newer versions (rent not own) provide.

Your issue may lie somewhere in the verbiage above.

'---
    Jim Cone
    Portland, Oregon USA

• Marked as answer by David_JunFeng Wednesday, March 30, 2016 9:45 AM
    • Edited by James Cone Tuesday, April 26, 2016 11:22 PM
    Sunday, March 20, 2016 11:21 PM

All replies

• Re:  opening an Excel file from MS project

Your problem description is open to interpretation...
      You must have an instance of Excel installed on the computer that is opening the Excel file,
        or the free Excel Viewer (a MS download) can be used to read the file.

An Excel file, containing VBA code, must be opened/saved as a .xlsm file (in xl2010 + versions) or you lose the code.
      Older Office/Excel applications, using an install disk, require the user to specify that VBA is to be installed.
      Maybe, your Office application does not have VBA installed?
      I don't know what install options the newer versions (rent not own) provide.

Your issue may lie somewhere in the verbiage above.

'---
    Jim Cone
    Portland, Oregon USA

• Marked as answer by David_JunFeng Wednesday, March 30, 2016 9:45 AM
    • Edited by James Cone Tuesday, April 26, 2016 11:22 PM
    Sunday, March 20, 2016 11:21 PM
  • >>>"Opening the VBA project in this file requires a component that is not currently installed. This file will be opened without the VBA project. For more information, search Microsoft Office Online for "VBA converters."

According to your description, as far as I know that the workbook that you are trying to open contains macros that are written on Excel 5.0/95 module sheets. When you try to save the workbook to the Excel 5.0/95 file format, Excel 2007, Excel 2010, and Excel 2013 cannot write the Excel 5.0/95 module sheet format. These issues occur because Excel 2007 and newer do not directly support the conversion of macros that are written by using Excel 5.0/95 VBA. So I suggest that you could try to resolve this issue through refering about You are requested to search Microsoft Office Online for "VBA Converters" when you try to open or save a workbook in Excel

In addition could you upload your excel file on OneDrive, that will help us reproduce and resolve your issue.

Thanks for your understanding.
    Monday, March 21, 2016 3:16 AM