How do I Take Source that I purchased and do a Build RRS feed

• Question

• I paid to have a program created and for the source code so I could do updates. I have all of the original source code files and I am trying to rebrand it for my clients. I've changed the name in the source code but now I need to do a build so I can distribute the installer but I am finding nothing that tells me how to do this. Can anybody help?

Sunday, March 30, 2008 4:05 PM

Answers

• jsolochek,

I would like to provide you the suggestion from Deployment aspect in .NET development:

1. Please try to use ClickOnce deployment. ClickOnce is a deployment technology that allows you to create self-updating Windows-based applications that can be installed and run with minimal user interaction. For further information, please read the series articles: Introduction to ClickOnce Deployment

2. In Visual Studio IDE, You can create Setup and Deployment project for the MSI setup installation file. Visual Studio provides templates for four types of deployment projects: Merge Module Project, Setup Project, Web Setup Project, and Cab Project. In addition, a Setup wizard is provided to help step you through the process of creating deployment projects. You can see the templates and the wizard in the New Project dialog box under the Setup and Deployment Projects node. For further information, please read the article Setup and Deployment Projects 

3. MSBuild: MSBuild is the new build platform for Microsoft and Visual Studio. This section contains conceptual information about MSBuild and how to use it to build projects.

Hope that can help you.

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 6:40 AM

All replies

• jsolochek,

I would like to provide you the suggestion from Deployment aspect in .NET development:

1. Please try to use ClickOnce deployment. ClickOnce is a deployment technology that allows you to create self-updating Windows-based applications that can be installed and run with minimal user interaction. For further information, please read the series articles: Introduction to ClickOnce Deployment

2. In Visual Studio IDE, You can create Setup and Deployment project for the MSI setup installation file. Visual Studio provides templates for four types of deployment projects: Merge Module Project, Setup Project, Web Setup Project, and Cab Project. In addition, a Setup wizard is provided to help step you through the process of creating deployment projects. You can see the templates and the wizard in the New Project dialog box under the Setup and Deployment Projects node. For further information, please read the article Setup and Deployment Projects 

3. MSBuild: MSBuild is the new build platform for Microsoft and Visual Studio. This section contains conceptual information about MSBuild and how to use it to build projects.

Hope that can help you.

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 6:40 AM
  • The Visual Studio I have is Visual Web Developer 2005 and 2008. I am having great trouble trying to use Clickonce with these. I have tried downloading the 90 trial for Visual Studio 2008 Professional but the 3.2 gigf file when I try to open it only has a 128 text file and thats it. I have tried downloading this 3 times now and it is always the same. I tried downloading it the last time in Safe Mode but that didn't help.

I have all this source code for programs but I need to do a build on them. any Ideas or possible solutions?

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 5:40 AM
  • jsolochek,

It is difficult to point out the problem from your description, however, I appreciate you to choose Microsoft product. As far as I've knwon, you can use ClickOnce technology in Express Editions product for free. But for the setup project, you have to use the more complicated versions.

I suggest you to post the further question in ClickOnce and Setup & Deployment Projects forum for the expert support.

Thanks again for your thread.

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 8:10 AM