none
Can Azure storage appear as a DRIVE in my windows file explorer?

Question

• Suppose I want to integrate Azure so that I can save files to it with windows explorer, just as if its another drive like D: and E:. Can I do that?

The real reason I want to do that is so I can save a webpage with all its links to images to Azure storage, without having to modify by hand every link to every image so that it points to the location on Azure. 

Specifically I have a huge PDF that I can use Adobe Acrobat to save as HTML, and Adobe saves the pictures along with it.  If I could tell Adobe: "save to the H: drive" where the "H:" drive is Azure, then perhaps my Azure storage will automatically adjust all the links, so that if the HTML is then pasted into an asp.net HTMextender control, that the links will show the images, since they are now online.

(Normally, if I paste a selection from a webpage into the HTMLextender Editor, the links to any images work, and you see the images).

Thanks.

Sunday, September 18, 2016 3:30 PM

Answers

• Agree with Nick's ans...on top of it you can use toos to view storage for example below

https://azurestorageexplorer.codeplex.com/

Tariq Younas

• Marked as answer by rating maven Thursday, September 22, 2016 9:13 PM
    Monday, September 19, 2016 5:14 AM
  • You can use Azure File Services (uses SMB) and map it as a network drive to H:

example:
    net use H: \\<storage-account-name>.file.core.windows.net\<share-name>

Have a read up of Get started with Azure File storage on Windows

But this is for file storage only, if you are trying to create a web site, then just create a simple "Web App". Then go to "Deployment credentials" and set up an FTP username/password then connect via FTP and upload your files into site/wwwroot and test browsing to the page.
    • Edited by Nick HogarthMVP Sunday, September 18, 2016 10:26 PM .
    Sunday, September 18, 2016 10:06 PM
  • Correct me if I'm wrong - but I thought that it was very difficult (or perhaps impossible) to map an Azure File Service drive to a local PC (System Error 53, etc.) - however, this can be done on Azure VMs and services.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks,

Sri

Monday, September 19, 2016 6:19 AM

All replies

• You can use Azure File Services (uses SMB) and map it as a network drive to H:

example:
    net use H: \\<storage-account-name>.file.core.windows.net\<share-name>

Have a read up of Get started with Azure File storage on Windows

But this is for file storage only, if you are trying to create a web site, then just create a simple "Web App". Then go to "Deployment credentials" and set up an FTP username/password then connect via FTP and upload your files into site/wwwroot and test browsing to the page.
    • Edited by Nick HogarthMVP Sunday, September 18, 2016 10:26 PM .
    Sunday, September 18, 2016 10:06 PM
  • Agree with Nick's ans...on top of it you can use toos to view storage for example below

https://azurestorageexplorer.codeplex.com/

Tariq Younas

Monday, September 19, 2016 5:14 AM
  • Correct me if I'm wrong - but I thought that it was very difficult (or perhaps impossible) to map an Azure File Service drive to a local PC (System Error 53, etc.) - however, this can be done on Azure VMs and services.

Thanks,

Sri

Monday, September 19, 2016 6:19 AM

Thanks,

Sri

If you're running Windows 8/8.1/10 it works fine as long as it's not blocked by your firewalls.
    • Proposed as answer by Srikant Krishna Tuesday, September 20, 2016 12:53 AM
    Monday, September 19, 2016 6:49 AM
  • Adding few specifics to what correctly mentioned by Nick, you will need workstation OS Windows 8 or higher.

To map Azure file service as a network drive outside Azure, your system needs to support SMB 3.0 which can be found in Windows 8+ Operating Systems. why it works in Azure VMs is because Azure does allow this mapping with SMB 2.1 + version.

Bhushan | Blog | LinkedIn | Twitter

Monday, September 19, 2016 11:12 AM