Creating Power Pivot Workbook Template RRS feed

• Question

• I am creating some analytics content for clients in Excel 2013 using PowerPivot.  The data itself is being exported to CSV files and I am importing the data in Power Pivot and adding it to the data model. Note that the data can get very large, on the order of millions or rows.  

This is all well and good, but I do not want to have to recreate the whole workbook every time I export my data.  Furthermore, I do not want to have to recreate everything for every single client. I would like to create a "template" of this setup, and be able to swap in the data on the fly "automagically", without having to manually update the connection in Excel.  Is this possible?  

Wednesday, January 14, 2015 7:56 PM

Answers

• With Excel 2013, you can access the Power Pivot API through VBA.

Alternately, you could use Power Query to drive all the data load and parameterize the source data file for those queries.

Thursday, January 15, 2015 3:22 PM

All replies

• With Excel 2013, you can access the Power Pivot API through VBA.

Alternately, you could use Power Query to drive all the data load and parameterize the source data file for those queries.

Thursday, January 15, 2015 3:22 PM
  • Greg, that's not a Power Pivot API, right? Could you describe the API a bit more? Or someone else? Any info on it?

Thanks!

Ed Price, Azure & Power BI Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 7:51 PM