none
Unsupported 16-bit Application (ngen.exe) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I recently got a new laptop and attempted to install Visual Studio 2008, but the following error displayed during the prerequisite loading stage, ultimately aborting the install:

During a later installation of different software, the same error displayed several times.

I've scoured Google for hours, but I couldn't find anyone with the same issue.  Given that "ngen.exe" is a .NET component and (in this case) is located in a directory for x64-compatible binaries, I find it hard to believe that "ngen.exe" is supposed to be 16-bit.  If the file were corrupted, would Windows display this error?

Also, because I need to install Visual Studio 2008 soon (not 2010 or 2012 by the way - corporate reasons), I have attempted to uninstall and re-install .NET framework from my laptop.  Re-installing .NET 4.5 didn't fix the issue, so I removed it and tried installing .NET 3.5 instead using the Add or Remove Windows Features dialog.  .NET 3.5 encounters an installation error (but doesn't provide any details) and the install fails.  Then, when trying to manually install .NET 3.5 or 2.0, the installs abort and Windows instructs me to use the Add or Remove Windows Features dialog instead.

So, in summary, I now don't have .NET framework 3.5 or 4.5 installed, don't have Visual Studio 2008 installed, and continue to receive this "Unsupported 16-bit Application" error any time I try installing something.  Is there any way to replace the ngen.exe binary with the correct one, or resolve these problems without a full re-install of the OS?

For reference, below are details of my laptop:

Thank you!

Joel

• Edited by J. Phinney Thursday, May 15, 2014 7:53 PM
    Thursday, May 15, 2014 7:49 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Joel,

The .NET 3.5, as a embedded component in Win 7 OS, cannot be installed just from an .NET 3.5 installer and this is why you get nothing when trying to install it.

Please use this tool first to verify your .NET 3.5 first:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/10/13/8999004.aspx

If the result shows .NET 3.5 is actually corrupt, try refer to this blog to fix:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2007/03/26/how-to-repair-the-net-framework-2-0-and-3-0-on-windows-vista.aspx

It is for .NET 2.0 and 3.0 on Windows Vista, but Win 7 can also use sfc /scannow to check system files.

Then you can also use this tool: http://www.microsoft.com/en-hk/download/details.aspx?id=30135

Let's see if they can help you fix the issue.(If .NET still corrupt after this fix, you may need to consult MS Answers to ask how to repair your OS.)

Regards,

Barry Wang
    We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, May 16, 2014 2:41 AM
  • Hi Barry,

Thank you for the prompt reply and explanations.

I used the tool you linked to and my installations of .NET 2.0, 3.0, and 3.5 were all verified successfully (according to the tool).

Since the remainder of your reply pertains to if verification fails, do you have any suggestions for what I can try when verification succeeds? Also, is there a chance ngen.exe is not examined as part of this verification process?

Thanks again,

Joel

• Edited by J. Phinney Monday, May 19, 2014 2:46 PM formatting was lost
    Monday, May 19, 2014 2:45 PM
  • Hi again,

After running into another error involving culture.dll being corrupt, I ran "sfc /scannow" and encountered 1041 corrupt files that SFC was not able to fix (many in the .NET folder identified in my first post).  It looks like the verification tool you linked me to earlier didn't properly scan my system.

I followed the instructions in the last link from your post.  The .NET framework repair tool repaired my InstallShield, but it couldn't help with any of the corrupt files detected by SFC.

I also looked into performing the instructions listed in your second link, but it seems I'll need to work with my IT department to attempt any of those.

I will reply later with whether we're able to resolve the issue using the resources you posted.

Thanks,

Joel

Monday, May 19, 2014 10:06 PM
  • Hi Joel,

The sfc /scannow command is used for checking system files. I'm afraid yes you have to work with your IT department to fix this OS issue. Or you can try ask here:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7?tab=Threads

They can help you fix your problem.

Regards,

Barry Wang
    We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 11:38 AM
  • Just adding this as it may help anyone else that comes across this issue.

Some anti-virus software can cause this error message.  I experienced this error message and found an antivirus program active, I had forgotten to disable.

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 2:00 PM