none
What's wrong with this simple step-by-step import into Azure SQL? RRS feed

• Question

• As expected of an eager beaver, the first thing I wanted to do was to move my existing small test database from my PC (SQL Server 2008 R2) into Azure SQL.  This is what I did:

a. From SSMS, I right clicked my database, selected Tasks, Extract Data Tier Application..., and then just selected all the defaults, except Application name which I changed it to lower case.  The file created was mydatabase.dacpac.

b. I used Azure Storage Explorer version 4 from Neudesic to create a Blob container in my Azure Storage account.

c. I used Azure Storage Explorer to upload mydatabase.dacpac to the Blob container.

d. From the old Azure portal, I went to the Database section and selected Import Database from Storage Account and selected the mydatabase.dacpac file in my Blob container and submitted the job successfully.

c. I went to Import Export Request Status and this is what I got:

Import Export Requests

MYDATABASE;Import;Failed;8/29/2012 15:52:57;ccb8587d-bdd0-4c26-bf05-dc127c1bd9c7;Exception Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Dac.Services.ServiceException: Error encountered during the service operation. 
    Inner exception Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Dac.Core.BacpacException: 10016: Unable to get bacpac metadata from stream.
    Inner exception Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Dac.Core.BacpacException: 10011: Bacpac file format corrupt or null.  See inner exception for more details.

What did I do wrong?  Thanks.

I don't know whether letter casing is an issue.  In the SQL Server on my PC, the database name is in all caps.  During the Extract Data Tier Application, I gave a lower caps name to the Application name field.

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 4:15 PM

Answers

All replies