excel 2007 is changing my formulas why RRS feed

• Question

• when I open my excel file, I want it to recalculate my values.

However, when I open excel it changes my formulas...

why?

I am using an excel addin 

and I can pull data and it works fine.

but when I close the file and up it up again

my formulas changes and I do not know why.

oh when the formulas changes it do not pull any data

Thursday, September 12, 2013 5:16 PM

Answers

• Ah! :)

It is not changing the formula, it is simply referencing the Add-In. It is a default behaviour of excel. Here is an example to replicate it

Open two excel files (Say Book1.xlsx and Book2.xlsx) and then in A1 of Book2.xlsx, type "=" and then select A1 of Book1.xlsx. You will see a formula like `=[Book1]Sheet1!$A$1` Now close both file and just open Book2.xlsx. Don't open the other. You will notice that the formula is now shown as something like this `='C:\[Book1.xlsx]Sheet1'!$A$1` Which is simply normal. That's excel's way of understanding where to look for the values. If you now open `Book1`, you will see the formula changing back to `=[Book1]Sheet1!$A$1`

Similarly in your case, the formula is referring to the file in "c:\Program file (x86)" which has the function LIMSGETDATA.

If you double click the Add-In or install the Add-In, then you will not see the change in the formula :)

Hope this answers your query?

Sid

• Proposed as answer by Asadulla JavedEditor Friday, September 13, 2013 6:04 AM
    • Marked as answer by Btb4198 Saturday, September 21, 2013 4:39 PM
    Thursday, September 12, 2013 7:01 PM

All replies

• Excel by default doesn't change your formulas. Maybe it is the Add-in which is changing the formulas? What kind of Add-In is it?

Sid

Thursday, September 12, 2013 5:24 PM
  • I have two excel addin

One addin is for Honewell PHD and the other addin is for Honeywell LIMS

The PHD formula from the addin is working, when I closed the file and opened it  again. The PHD formulas works. Excel does not changed the formula.. and it updates the value ...

However the LIMS  addin when I close excel and open it again excel changes the formulas.

Why? And how do I stop it? 

also Excel does changed the formulas.

I had two different formulas from the LIMS Addin and when I change one formulas excel changed the other one as well.

• Edited by Btb4198 Thursday, September 12, 2013 5:36 PM
    Thursday, September 12, 2013 5:35 PM
  • >Why? And how do I stop it?

Why? Well, I don't know :) Without seeing the Add-In code, I won't be able to comment. If the Add-In is changing the formulas then to stop it you need to amend the code but I am guessing you do not have access to the code. So in such a scenario, you will have to contact the Add-In creators.

Excel by default will not change your formulas until and unless you are referring to a range/sheet/workbook which is not there. In such a case you will see REF# errors in your formula

Sid

Thursday, September 12, 2013 5:41 PM
  • look how excel is changing the formulas after the excel file is reopened . Why is it adding "c:\Program file (x86) ..." to the formulas? again the add-in works, I can pull data, but once I close the excel file and reopen it. excel changes the formulas to that. I do not understand.

any ideas ?

Thursday, September 12, 2013 6:37 PM
  • Ah! :)

It is not changing the formula, it is simply referencing the Add-In. It is a default behaviour of excel. Here is an example to replicate it

Open two excel files (Say Book1.xlsx and Book2.xlsx) and then in A1 of Book2.xlsx, type "=" and then select A1 of Book1.xlsx. You will see a formula like `=[Book1]Sheet1!$A$1` Now close both file and just open Book2.xlsx. Don't open the other. You will notice that the formula is now shown as something like this `='C:\[Book1.xlsx]Sheet1'!$A$1` Which is simply normal. That's excel's way of understanding where to look for the values. If you now open `Book1`, you will see the formula changing back to `=[Book1]Sheet1!$A$1`

Similarly in your case, the formula is referring to the file in "c:\Program file (x86)" which has the function LIMSGETDATA.

If you double click the Add-In or install the Add-In, then you will not see the change in the formula :)

Hope this answers your query?

Sid

• Proposed as answer by Asadulla JavedEditor Friday, September 13, 2013 6:04 AM
    • Marked as answer by Btb4198 Saturday, September 21, 2013 4:39 PM
    Thursday, September 12, 2013 7:01 PM
  • I did your example and it worked just like you said. So I get that.

in your example I enter the value 8 for A1 of book3  and A1 in book2 pointed / referred to A1 of book3. And A1 of book2 had the value of 8 as well.

now when I closed both of them book3 and book2. and openned only book2 is has the function "= 'C:\Users\E574129\Desktop\[Book3.xls]Sheet1'!$A$1"

but it still has the value 8 in A1 of book2.

now when I open book3 , book2 have the function " = [Book3.xls]Sheet1!$A$1 " but it still has the value 8 in A1.

so that is all good and it works and I get that..

but 

why with the addin it do not still show the value ?

If I redo the function using the addin it will pull the data and work but if I save, close it, and re open it excel will not return any value .

also with the other excel addin , the one that works when i close excel and open excel again, that function never changes .. I have checked..

why does that one not work ?

and how can i fix it ?

Also, both add in are installed in excel .

how should I troubleshoot this ?

Thursday, September 12, 2013 9:21 PM
  • what do you mean by install the Add-in?

Friday, September 13, 2013 3:37 AM