none
quick advice needed

Question

• a week ago I changed sa pass on poorly managed old SQL...

one app is affected. I don't have access to the server. Somebody else will take care...

Where the sa password on one particular db could be changed. Probably it is dbo on that DB.

Please point out.

Thanks.

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

Thursday, March 2, 2017 2:45 PM

Answers

• The sa password is a server wide setting, you can't set the sa password for one database.

The sa account will be stored in the master database.

Does this answer your question? To be frank with you-I am not totally sure what you are asking?

• Marked as answer by pob579 Thursday, March 2, 2017 3:00 PM
    Thursday, March 2, 2017 2:50 PM
  • Most modern apps will have a config file on the server that they run in. It will contain the account, server name and password the app is using. You might be luck and be able to add the new sa password. As you know, the app should not be using the sa account in the first place.
    • Marked as answer by pob579 Thursday, March 2, 2017 3:49 PM
    Thursday, March 2, 2017 3:39 PM

All replies

• The sa password is a server wide setting, you can't set the sa password for one database.

The sa account will be stored in the master database.

Does this answer your question? To be frank with you-I am not totally sure what you are asking?

• Marked as answer by pob579 Thursday, March 2, 2017 3:00 PM
    Thursday, March 2, 2017 2:50 PM
  • If you need access to SQL Server and dont have sa password, you have to start SQL Server instance in single user mode (local win admins has access during single user mode).

To start instance in single user mode use SQL Server Configuration Manager and add startup parameter -m.

Thursday, March 2, 2017 2:56 PM
  • The problem: after changing the SA password one application stopped working.

The app on client machine is connected to the SQL directly.

After your explanation/confirmation about sa server wide setting (my bad... I thought that SA password change affected one DB and can be fixed on that DB), I am sure that the password change should be somewhere in APP settings. It uses SA account for DB connection. So nothing to do on SQL server...

Thanks.

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

• Edited by pob579 Thursday, March 2, 2017 11:16 PM
    Thursday, March 2, 2017 3:00 PM
  • Most modern apps will have a config file on the server that they run in. It will contain the account, server name and password the app is using. You might be luck and be able to add the new sa password. As you know, the app should not be using the sa account in the first place.
    • Marked as answer by pob579 Thursday, March 2, 2017 3:49 PM
    Thursday, March 2, 2017 3:39 PM
  • it will be fixed... they contacted the vendor

and I asked to change SA user in app to dedicated AD account assigned for the services...

At least the SA password change helped to find a BAD setup, so user "noise" is not avoidable :)

and affected DB is on of 30 working without problems after SA password change,

Thanks Hilary.

Hermesss, there was no problem of SSMS SA access...

• Edited by pob579 Thursday, March 2, 2017 11:13 PM typos
    Thursday, March 2, 2017 4:03 PM