Screen gets cut and hangs for few seconds upon rotation

Question

• My windows 8 store xaml app gets cut in half upon rotation from landscape mode to Portrait mode and vice versa. Upon rotation the screen gets hanged for a second and gets cut. After a pause of around 3 seconds it gets adjusted to portrait mode. To get the app adjust in portrait mode i have written a storyboard that resizes the buttons and other columns.Then we are calling this storyboard or viewstate on size changed event. We have noticed that many Microsoft apps like mail, people, news apps has the same behaviour. Is there any way to fix this? Or does all the apps on Surface take time to re-adjust? Any reason for this? How can I fix it? Please check the screen shot taken at the time of rotation.. 
    Monday, June 09, 2014 10:23 AM

All replies

• I don't do much in the way of rotation, so I haven't noticed this. However, it sounds like you're describing an OS-level issue rather than an app issue. But that said, if you were to have content down in the area that is off-screen in landscape mode but would be on-screen in portrait, does it show up or is it just blank?

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Monday, June 09, 2014 7:41 PM
  • Are you doing any kind of complex operations in the "WindowSizeChanged" event handler? This might happened because of complex implementation for handling view of app in landscape or portrait, as all those operation will be executed on the UI thread.

- Ram
    If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Mark as Helpful".

Monday, June 09, 2014 8:17 PM