How combine .dll files of third party software ? RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,

I have windows application based on C#. So my problem here I am also going to use some telerik component. The problem comes when I have to deploy I have to also put the .dll files in the same folder which I find a bit troublesome. So then I looked there is a click once deployment method where u have to the property and publish. So my another problem is that before I deploy I also once to protect my .exe file with some obsfucator software. So how can I achieve the obfscutoring and also to deploy the .dll files ? Thanks.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 4:46 AM

Answers

•  

Hi .net sukbir,

I am not sure about your problem; did you mean publish your ClickOnce application with these referenced DLLs? If so, ClickOnce does support publishing referenced DLLs. On the Publish Property page, click the 'Application Files' button to bring up the Application Files dialog. This dialog will list all files to be published. Your reference may be included, excluded or prerequisite (in the GAC).

The defaults for publishing references are:

·         Managed assembly with copy local = false will be published by default.

·         Managed assembly with copy local = true will be set as an assembly prerequisite. This means the assembly must be present in the GAC before the application will be installed.

If your application contains COM reference, please check the following article:

·         Simplify App Deployment with ClickOnce and Registration-Free COM
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc188708.aspx

Let me know if this helps, if not, could you please clarify what is your problem?

Best regards.
    Rong-Chun Zhang

Monday, March 24, 2008 7:54 AM

All replies

•  

Hi .net sukbir,

I am not sure about your problem; did you mean publish your ClickOnce application with these referenced DLLs? If so, ClickOnce does support publishing referenced DLLs. On the Publish Property page, click the 'Application Files' button to bring up the Application Files dialog. This dialog will list all files to be published. Your reference may be included, excluded or prerequisite (in the GAC).

The defaults for publishing references are:

·         Managed assembly with copy local = false will be published by default.

·         Managed assembly with copy local = true will be set as an assembly prerequisite. This means the assembly must be present in the GAC before the application will be installed.

If your application contains COM reference, please check the following article:

·         Simplify App Deployment with ClickOnce and Registration-Free COM
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc188708.aspx

Let me know if this helps, if not, could you please clarify what is your problem?

Best regards.
    Rong-Chun Zhang

Monday, March 24, 2008 7:54 AM
  • I thought a managed assembly with a reference with Copy Local = false would NOT be published by default.

Setting Copy Local = true WILL be published locally.

And in ApplicationFiles, I thought Setting the Publish status to Prerequisite meant the assembly had to be installed in the GAC first, but "Include" just included it locally.

Did I misunderstand?

RobinS.

Monday, March 24, 2008 7:40 PM