Is there a problem when changing SL versions with the reduced Xap size? RRS feed

• Question

• When the "reduce xap size" option is used, the appmanifest file creates references to the zipped assemblies.  Currently, those are the Silverlight assemblies. If the app is in SL 4 and the 4 versions of the assemblies are now cached in the browser, isn't there a problem when I create a SL 5 version of my app? Won't the browser still try to use the 4 versions of assemblies referenced in the manifest file? 

So isn't there a problem moving from 4 to 5?  Wouldn't the user have to clear his browser cache (not a good thing)?

I think I could manually edit the manifest file and add a "?version=5" type parameter, but with a LOT of xaps that would be a pain.

I tried editing the appmanifest file in the project and adding a version on all the ExtensionParts, but the build process just added a SECOND set without the version, which messes it up.

Wednesday, September 16, 2015 2:22 PM

All replies

• Hi Mark Tiede,

>>If the app is in SL 4 and the 4 versions of the assemblies are now cached in the browser, isn't there a problem when I create a SL 5 version of my app? Won't the browser still try to use the 4 versions of assemblies referenced in the manifest file?
    Yes, if you upgrade your Silverlight from version 4 to version 5, the browser will still use the old assemblies that cashed in browser.

>>So isn't there a problem moving from 4 to 5?  Wouldn't the user have to clear his browser cache (not a good thing)?
    Clear cache in browser is an easy solution, but as you said, it is not an acceptable one. Please try to use a query string to force the browser to get the latest version. The query string would need to change on each version released. More information about this solution, please read following blog from Adamo Mosca.
    http://www.summa-tech.com/blog/2014/03/02/silverlight-application-library-caching-a-lesson-learned

Disclaimer: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Thursday, September 17, 2015 3:07 AM
  • Re-read what I posted. I wasn't talking about the caching of the XAP (which is where a querystring could be used, and I already AM using a quertstring for the xap).

The question is about the zipped ASSEMBLIES.  And the question is, is there a way get the browser to ignore the cached zipped assemblies WITHOUT manually editing the manifest file (or a .extmap file)?

Thursday, September 17, 2015 12:51 PM
  • Do you have try with include the contents of the .ZIP file in the Main.XAP file that gets loaded when the html pages loads which mentioned in that article in the first reply? I this it is a good solution.
    Friday, September 18, 2015 11:11 AM