Restore Windows 7 From Windows 8 Developer Preview Installation

Question

• Hello,

Is there any possible way to restore back to Windows 7 (previous OS) after installing Windows 8 Preview? I installed Windows 8 Developer Preview by mounting the ISO to a virtual drive and running the setup.exe. I notice my previous OS/Files/Everything is located at C:/Windows.old, therefore I feel the possibility to revert back may be an option!!

If anyone have any feedback for what I can do, I'd appreciate it!

cheers,

-Brett

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 4:50 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

Is there any possible way to restore back to Windows 7 (previous OS) after installing Windows 8 Preview? I installed Windows 8 Developer Preview by mounting the ISO to a virtual drive and running the setup.exe. I notice my previous OS/Files/Everything is located at C:/Windows.old, therefore I feel the possibility to revert back may be an option!!

If anyone have any feedback for what I can do, I'd appreciate it!

cheers,

-Brett

Agreed.  Windows 8 is great, but I want Windows 7 back.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:02 AM
  • I was under the impression we'd be able to use our applications from Windows 7.  I guess I was wrong, I can't get any of them to look.  (I found them like you did on Windows.old but none of them work)
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:14 AM
  • i thought this would be a dual boot preview...

gimmy my system back !!

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:24 AM
  • So is there anyway back?

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:54 AM
  • Hey Folks,

Sorry to say that there is no uninstall.  As mentioned on the download page  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516

"You can't uninstall the Windows Developer Preview. To reinstall your previous operating system, you must have restore or installation media"

If you have questions on how to do a clean install of your previous OS from a DVD or from restore media supplied by your OEM, I would consider posting to the Windows Install forum on Microsoft Answers.  http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_install

Charles

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:10 AM
  • Okay, so I have to do a clean install from my Windows 7 disc?  If so, how do I get a dual-boot of Windows 8.  Been looking around and several people are able to use their previous OS and Windows 8 developer preview.  That might be some really helpful instructions for those of us that want to use basic applications such as Word, or Excel, and use Windows 8 developer preview.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:14 AM
  • Bewoulf23 wrote:

Okay, so I have to do a clean install from my Windows 7 disc?  If so, how do I get a dual-boot of Windows 8.  Been looking around and several people are able to use their previous OS and Windows 8 developer preview. 

You want a totally separate 20 or 40 Gb partition on your hard drive
    just for the Windows 8 OS.

Tony

Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
    Tony's Main MS Access pages - http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
    Tony's Microsoft Access Blog - http://msmvps.com/blogs/access/
    For a convenient utility to keep your users FEs and other files   updated see http://www.autofeupdater.com/

• Proposed as answer by Jjjimbo Saturday, September 17, 2011 4:44 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:29 AM
  • But how do I install it onto a separate partition?  It's an exe file, so would I have to have 2 copies of Windows; 1 on 1 partition, and the other to run the installer?

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:27 PM
  • Hey Folks,

Sorry to say that there is no uninstall.  As mentioned on the download page  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516

"You can't uninstall the Windows Developer Preview. To reinstall your previous operating system, you must have restore or installation media"

If you have questions on how to do a clean install of your previous OS from a DVD or from restore media supplied by your OEM, I would consider posting to the Windows Install forum on Microsoft Answers.  http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_install

Charles

My PC is store-bought with Windows 7 already installed; how would I go about reinstalling it? I've tried resetting it to factory settings but Windows 8 takes over it still. I thought I'd be able to use my old apps, and while W8 is great, I prefer W7 for now.

• Edited by Paradicee Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:28 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:27 PM
  • I figured something like this would work: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971760

But I'm not sure what to replace the code in Step 3 with for Windows 8.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:31 PM
  • Okay, thanks tony.  Looks like I'm out of lucky.  It's my own fault for being stupid.  Luckily, my computer is only a few weeks old so it's not like I'm losing much valuable work.  It will just take time to reinstall all those programs.  I think I'm going to reinstall Windows 7, create the partition immediately and get Windows 8 into that partition to make sure that I can dual-boot it.

Here's my only and final question with what I have to do.  I have a Windows 7 disc, but I've used the code twice one of them was on this very computer.  If I reinstall windows 7 do I use up my third activation code?

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:04 PM
  • If I reinstall windows 7 do I use up my third activation code?

Not to worry, you can re-activate Windows 7 on the same computer.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 5:31 PM
  • bald_eagle7676 wrote:

But how do I install it onto a separate partition?  It's an exe file, so would I have to have 2 copies of Windows; 1 on 1 partition, and the other to run the installer?

I don't know where you got the exe from.   My Win 8 was an ISO file
    which I setup in a VirtualBox session.    You could burn a DVD with the
    ISO file and use it to setup the new partition.

But you will also need to understand how partitions and such work.  I
    don't know of any good resources.  I've worked with partitions since
    back when Windows 95 first came out.   I was programming with Windows 95
    under OS/2 Warp as that was quite stable compared to Windows 95 on top
    of DOS.

Tony

For a convenient utility to keep your users FEs and other files   updated see http://www.autofeupdater.com/

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:25 PM
  • How can I reset mine to Factory Settings for Windows 7 if it's store bought?

So far it's just making me go through Windows 8 and they aren't letting it happen.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 10:22 PM
  • Do a search for your computer brand.  I had to do a factory reset because of windows 8 today.  I looked it up, I have an Asus.  I press F9 at the BIOS screen.  It was pretty easy from there, loaded up Windows 7 easily.

It sucks I had to do that, but it was my own fault.  I did read that you can't uninstall windows 8 but I didn't understand it.  I'm going to go the better route now and do a partition so I can keep my windows 7 and use Windows 8 for testing/developing my apps.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 12:23 AM
  • Paradicee wrote:

How can I reset mine to Factory Settings for Windows 7 if it's store bought?

So far it's just making me go through Windows 8 and they aren't letting it happen.

Sorry I have no idea.

Tony

Thursday, September 15, 2011 12:25 AM
  • How can I reset mine to Factory Settings for Windows 7 if it's store bought?

You should have burned your recovery media from the recovery partition before you did anything else on your computer. Unfortunately you can't at this point as the program to start the recovery media creation process was more than likely overwritten or moved to Windows.old when you installed the developer's preview. On some computers you can still do a full recovery on boot by pressing a function key during post before the OS loads. Go to your computer manufacturer's website to find out which one. If there isn't one you can still order a set of recovery disks from the manufacturer's website for 10-30 bucks usually.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 1:00 AM
  • This is not acceptable! I used a utility to make a virtual drive, created blank space on my main drive and kept waiting for the prompt to upgrade or do  clean install. Little did I know, this was "upgrading me". There are NO warning for this from the download site from buildwindows.com. Totally Unacceptable...now I have to spend an entire day rebuilding my PC. time I could have spent playing with this or developing...I am disgusted!!!
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 7:59 PM
  • This is not acceptable! I used a utility to make a virtual drive, created blank space on my main drive and kept waiting for the prompt to upgrade or do  clean install. Little did I know, this was "upgrading me". There are NO warning for this from the download site from buildwindows.com. Totally Unacceptable...now I have to spend an entire day rebuilding my PC. time I could have spent playing with this or developing...I am disgusted!!!
    Don't try to install it within windows. It will NOT prompt you. Burn it to a disc or create a boot able USB
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:01 PM
  • Obviously I know this now, but there were no warnings that installing that way would automatically prompt an "upgrade". This is how I suspect many people will do it, who think DVD's are outdated. Also there no explanation that one should boot from the DVD, not install from Windows. Unacceptable!!!
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:37 PM
    Don't try to install it within windows. It will NOT prompt you. Burn it to a disc or create a boot able USB

Again this statement "A clean install is supported on all builds. You will only receive the full set of installation options when setup is launched in Windows." is totally misleading. Totally unacceptable, and needs to be fixed ASAP with warning in BOLD. I am not happy!!!
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:43 PM
  • It's a developer preview, not a public Beta. It says right in the installer on the last page before the install starts that nothing will be kept. It's very easy to see if you aren't just clicking through. This was enough for me to stop and start the installer through a reboot. Then I was able to pick my partition. Lots of people with this issue today because they simply didn't read.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:47 PM
  • It's a developer preview, not a public Beta. It says right in the installer on the last page before the install starts that nothing will be kept. It's very easy to see if you aren't just clicking through. This was enough for me to stop and start the installer through a reboot. Then I was able to pick my partition. Lots of people with this issue today because they simply didn't read.

Thats a load of bull, I saw partition screens from other people installing from boot, especially if you read "A clean install is supported on all builds. You will only receive the full set of installation options when setup is launched in Windows" on the download page. I assumed it would eventually pop up, based on that statement. Again this isn't acceptable!
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:58 PM

Thats a load of bull, I saw partition screens from other people installing from boot, especially if you read "A clean install is supported on all builds. You will only receive the full set of installation options when setup is launched in Windows" on the download page. I assumed it would eventually pop up, based on that statement. Again this isn't acceptable!

I totally agree there should have been way better outlines, but i know its my own fault , and windows 7 came on my machine, so what am i suppose to do when preview ends fork out money and buy windows 7 again or buy windows 8. Its my own fault but all of it still should have been underlined better, it is not acceptable that i will have to fork out money to get a new os at the end of this because no clear underlineing was put forward and i did look.

Thanks

Darren

Friday, September 16, 2011 3:10 PM
  • You simply re-install Windows 7 with the key that came affixed to your machine.
    Friday, September 16, 2011 3:16 PM
  • You simply re-install Windows 7 with the key that came affixed to your machine.
    Thats exactly what I was going to say, just reinstall Windows 7 in the version that you had, or your computer came with. Then just use the product key that is on the sticker on your computers case.  you more then likely will not get all those extra programs back that came from the manufacture, but you may be able to download them from their site. 
    Friday, September 16, 2011 4:40 PM
  • Ok, thanks for the help , guys will do when developer preview ends. :)
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 8:39 AM
  • Hello,

i faced the same problem, i have sony vaio and i also tried various method to bring back my old win 7 and after 2 days of work i suceeded in restoring to my old os intact thaks to windows.old. All you have to do is boot your system with any live bootable cd and then rename current windows,programe files, programfiles x86, user, preflogs, program data with .new and cut paste the old windows files from windows.old to the root then restart and remove the bootable disk thats it you are ready with your old os and all your files and settings are intact.

Bingo!,

-Shravan Bafna

• Proposed as answer by Shravan Bafna Monday, September 19, 2011 6:35 AM
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 1:59 PM
  • please read my reply down it can get you back your system

Monday, September 19, 2011 6:35 AM
  • Hold on, I've found a way to restore (go back to) Windows 7 after installing the Windows 8 Developer Preview.  Will be posting the instructions on my web site hopefully in the next 48 Hours or less.

J W Stuart: http://www.pagestart.com

Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 8:46 PM
  • Hello,

i faced the same problem, i have sony vaio and i also tried various method to bring back my old win 7 and after 2 days of work i suceeded in restoring to my old os intact thaks to windows.old. All you have to do is boot your system with any live bootable cd and then rename current windows,programe files, programfiles x86, user, preflogs, program data with .new and cut paste the old windows files from windows.old to the root then restart and remove the bootable disk thats it you are ready with your old os and all your files and settings are intact.

Bingo!,

-Shravan Bafna

Can you please explain (any live bootable cd) in details?
    Friday, September 23, 2011 4:36 AM

Did you bother reading the small print? I don't mind helping people out after they've done something stupid but if you're going to blame MS for your stupidity then i'll be surprised if anyone here wants to help you.

And to be absolutely frank if you think you can create 'blank space' to put your new shiny OS by deleting some files then i very much doubt your time 'playing with this or developing' be would time well spent

By the way - if you were prompted for an upgrade or a clean install then what would you have chosen?

a) upgrade? status quo

b) clean install? please insert a real disk and restart your computer

Sunday, September 25, 2011 2:29 AM
  • Obviously I know this now, but there were no warnings that installing that way would automatically prompt an "upgrade". This is how I suspect many people will do it, who think DVD's are outdated. Also there no explanation that one should boot from the DVD, not install from Windows. Unacceptable!!!

Don't forget this is not a general release, this is to give programmers a heads up. Every programmer on the planet knows how to install an OS properly without the need to be prompted
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 2:33 AM
  • Contact your manufacturer or whoever you bought the PC off, you bought it with a Windows 7 license - you still own that license.
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 2:36 AM
  • Just be careful with this method as your registry may not work properly. And your disk will be well and truly fragged. I recommend saving your important files and going for a clean install
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 2:41 AM
  • Hello everyone!

Rollback Windows 7 after installing Windows Developer Preview is not supported at this time, but not everything is lost just yet!

If anyone is having trouble to restore Windows 7 from Windows 8 Developer Preview, here is a good article that will guide you through the step-by-step to recover Windows.

I hope this helps.

http://pureinfotech.com/2011/10/10/how-to-uninstall-windows-8-developer-preview-and-restore-windows-7-step-by-step/

Thanks,

• Edited by mhweb Tuesday, November 15, 2011 11:15 PM
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 9:18 PM
  • How to restore Windows 7 after installing the Windows 8 Developer Preview.
    This recovery procedure is only valid if you choose to keep your accounts and personal files when installing Windows 8, it

has not been verified to work if you performed a “Custom/Clean” install of Windows 8.
    Text Only Version: http://www.pagestart.com/w8pbrecoverw709291101.html
    With graphics: Comming soon

Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 12:15 AM
  • Sorry - the warning is right on the Product download page:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516

"

Note: You can't uninstall the Windows 8 Developer Preview. To go back to your previous operating system, you must reinstall it from restore or installation media.

"

If that's not clear enough, then it's tough for you.

.Net thingy maker type guy.
    Friday, October 14, 2011 7:41 PM
  • It is possible and i have done it.

This method is possible only if you have "Windows.old".

But this will RESET YOUR ACTIVAITON DATA.

Just boot from your Windows 7 installation DVD and run Command Prompt.

You will see that the current directory will be "X:\>"

Now type in the following codes.[Press Enter after each line]

CD c:

Md c:\Win8

Move "c:\Window" "c:\Win8\Windows"

Move "c:\Program Files" "c:\Win8\Program Files"

Move "c:\Users" "c:\Win8\Users"

Move "c:\ProgramData" "c:\Win8\ProgramData"

Move "c:\Window.old\Windows" "c:\Windows"

Move "c:\Window.old\Program Files" "c:\Program Files"

Move "c:\Window.old\Users" "c:\Users"

Move "c:\Window.old\ ProgramData " "c:\ ProgramData "

exit

Now restart.Your Windows 7 is set in !

All your docs will be in "c:\Win8\Users\<username>\"

Friday, December 23, 2011 3:24 PM
  • My Method! Install another fresh copy of Windows 7 on dual boot and upgrade that one to Windows 8 :-)
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 4:19 PM
  • This worked as posted.  Windows 7 was restored and all apps work as before.  Thank you.
    Friday, January 20, 2012 10:50 PM

Okay, so you are mad because you failed to understand what running a pre-beta OS entails.  There is nothing "unacceptable" other than you should probably wait until Win 8 goes RTM.
    Sunday, January 22, 2012 2:45 AM
  • Ok, thanks for the help , guys will do when developer preview ends. :)

Open a command prompt and type, "slmgr /dlv."  You will see that the Developer Preview is set to expire March 11, 2012.

Sunday, January 22, 2012 2:52 AM
  • How to restore Windows 7 after installing the Windows 8 Developer Preview.
    This recovery procedure is only valid if you choose to keep your accounts and personal files when
    installing Windows 8, it has not been verified to work if you performed a “Custom/Clean” install of Windows 8.

You will need the Windows.old folder for this proceedure to work
    Text Only Version: http://www.pagestart.com/w8pbrecoverw709291101.html
    With screen shots: http://www.pagestart.com/w8pbrecoverw710291101.html

Sunday, January 22, 2012 3:00 AM
  • Restore Factory Installed Windows 7 From Windows 8 Developers Preview

The Computer Brand Seems To Matter,

I Have An 'Acer Aspire' And After Installing The 'Windows 8 Developer Preview' The First TIME From The 'FACTORY Windows 7 Installation' Of It, I Didn't Know That My Software From The Factory Bought Windows 7 Wouldn't Transfer Like Allot Of People (smile),

And Thus, Wanted To Restore To Windows 7 Factory To Retain This,

I Found Alt + F10 To Work, It Is Also Possible To Restore Windows 7 Via The Manual Boot (My Acer's Is F2) Via 'Load Default Settings' In The Boot Category Of This Mode;

Dual-Boot Windows 7 And Windows Developers Preveiw

However, I Have Since Attempted To Dual Boot My Windows 7 And Windows 8 Preview, I Got It,

But, Again, I Needed To Make Some Adjustments, I Really Don't Recall What I Was Thinking Anyways (duh), Also, I Suppose, Some Prankster Have wifi Remote Override And Hindered Me Re-Dual Booting Thusfar, since (ha-ha???),

Every time I Do It Now, Windows 8 Over-rides Windows 7, But The Partitions Remain Separate,

To Restore Factory Windows 7 From Here You Need To Erase Your Windows 8 Preview And Extend Volume Of Your Windows 7 Partition (Again) And Give It TIME To Set, This May Take Approximately 30 Minutes Or Less, Then Do The Relative 'F Key' Or 'Manual Load Default' From Your Boot Menu.

I HOPE That This Helps

PEACE And PROSPERITY

www.Facebook.com/7HEAVEN8

Mark

Thursday, January 26, 2012 1:54 AM