Issue with RunAs Other User (Secondary Logon) when using smartcard RRS feed

• General discussion

• I am trying to diagnose an issue a customer is experiencing when using our smartcard reader driver.  If they try to use RunAs other user, and then select a certificate on the card, being read through our driver, the runas process will fail with Unkown user or bad password.

If this same procedure is run using a different card reader, not using our driver, the process works.

This so far is the only environment where this occurs.  Reviewing logs from our software shows that all APDU transactions succeed to/from the card.  So far we have not been able to locate any error information in any of the event logs.

My next step is going to be to use tracelog to try and capture the message for Kerberos/NTLM/KDC.  However, thus far testing this locally, I have not been able to make any sense of the resulting etl file using tracefmt or traceview

Does anyone know of any information that discuss exactly how this process works (runas other user/secondary logon)?

I am also looking for information on how I can get tracefmt to actually decipher the captured information instead of this output:

EventTrace
    Unknown( 35): GUID=ad0bbf2c-60ca-453c-d22f-0f854cc31c8c (No Format Information found).
    Unknown( 37): GUID=ad0bbf2c-60ca-453c-d22f-0f854cc31c8c (No Format Information found).
    Unknown( 10): GUID=ad0bbf2c-60ca-453c-d22f-0f854cc31c8c (No Format Information found).
    Unknown( 37): GUID=ad0bbf2c-60ca-453c-d22f-0f854cc31c8c (No Format Information found).
    Unknown( 10): GUID=ad0bbf2c-60ca-453c-d22f-0f854cc31c8c (No Format Information found).

The above was generated with this command: tracefmt ntlm.etl -r srv*\\symbols\symbols

Friday, September 28, 2012 4:04 PM

All replies

• not really a driver issue. try a more appropriate forum.

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, September 28, 2012 5:31 PM
  • Thanks, but not sure what a more appropriate forum would be?
    Friday, September 28, 2012 5:34 PM