none
How Do I Add A Project To A Solution?

Question

• Hi Folks:

Developing on Windows 10 Pro, VS 2015 Community. 

A quick question before my real problem:

I use the Resource View often, but I have to click through "View - Other Windows" to get to it. 
          Is there a way to promote "Resource View" to the first page of the View menu?

I've succeeded in building a big project I've been working on after upgrading to Windows 10 and VS 2015. 

But I'm having problems starting a new project. 

I want to use some static libraries. 

I believe VS2010's File menu item offered something like <Add Project>, or perhaps <Add - Project> with two clicks, where I could browse through the collection of static libraries I've built and click on a ".vcxproj" file to add this to my solution. 

I'm not seeing that choice in VS 2015. 

Googling "Adding a project in VS 2015 C++" led me to this page. 

Those instructions get VS to display this window:

I'm expecting to see something like a "Browse" button, but nothing is showing up. 

How do I select an existing project to add to my application? 

Thanks
       Larry

Monday, July 25, 2016 9:51 PM

Answers

• Hi,

>>Is there a way to promote "Resource View" to the first page of the View menu?

Yes, you can customize the menu bar in your Visual Studio. Community version also support to customize menus and toolbars. Please follow the steps:

1.Tools->Customize->Commands, select the View in the Menu Bar

2.Add a new menu, click the 'Modify Selection' and Set the name as 'Resource View'

3.Select the new 'Resource View' menu and click "Add Commend..."

4.Select View in Category and select the 'Resource View ' command and click OK.

Then in the View Menu, you will find the Resource View like this:

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Tuesday, July 26, 2016 6:39 AM

All replies

• Right-click on the solution name in the Solution Explorer, point at the "Add" menu item and then click the "Add Existing Project..." menu item.

Cheers
    Eddie

• Proposed as answer by RLWA32 Monday, July 25, 2016 11:59 PM
    Monday, July 25, 2016 9:56 PM
  • P.S., if you can't customize menus and toolbars because it is the Community Edition, then use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Shift+E to quickly access the resource view.

Cheers
    Eddie

Monday, July 25, 2016 10:32 PM
  • Hi a_unique_name,

thanks for posting here.

This forum is about c++ development. For your case which is more related to VS general, I will move it to vs general forum for better support.

Your understanding and cooperation will be grateful.

Best Regards,

Sera Yu

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, July 26, 2016 2:14 AM
  • Hi,

>>Is there a way to promote "Resource View" to the first page of the View menu?

Yes, you can customize the menu bar in your Visual Studio. Community version also support to customize menus and toolbars. Please follow the steps:

1.Tools->Customize->Commands, select the View in the Menu Bar

2.Add a new menu, click the 'Modify Selection' and Set the name as 'Resource View'

3.Select the new 'Resource View' menu and click "Add Commend..."

4.Select View in Category and select the 'Resource View ' command and click OK.

Then in the View Menu, you will find the Resource View like this:

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Tuesday, July 26, 2016 6:39 AM
  • Hi Larry,

Any update about your problems? If you have any update, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Monday, August 01, 2016 8:45 AM