WinRT and INotifyPropertyChanged (plus other interfaces) RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have a massive problem with the location of the INotifyPropertyChanged interface, plus others, including delegate definitions.

In WinRT they are in (i suppose) the windows.dll.

However i have DataObjects and collections (INotifyCollectionChanged) that are shared across all layers of the app and they implement NotifyPropertyChanged. But now they need a reference to a dll that only exists on WinRT.

You have seriously broken my code and i imagine lots of other people's. Now i will need two versions of my data objects dll and the framework code they are based on. Currently i have one dll that is shared across all layers of the app, which is best practice for WCf services and clients. Plus the same dll is used by apps in different environments, console, windows services, winforms, asp.net, wpf, silverlight and WP7 and soon to be i hope Metro apps.

Being an interfaces, that doesnt contain code, they should be in a seperate dll, one that can be shared across all layers of the app. It doesnt matter what namespace they are in as one dll can contain multiple namespaces.

I imagine they are only really needed at compile time. The same goes for delegate definitions, i imagine they are only needed at compile time.

Regards Michael G Walmsley.

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 1:44 PM

All replies

• Have you tried a "portable class library"?
    Tuesday, May 22, 2012 9:21 PM
  • Simon, i had never heard of such a thing. however ive seen it in msdn docs for winrt and didnt know what it was.

Ill look into it

Thanks however it still doesnt overcome the problem of the way interfaces like this are packaged in the first place.

• Edited by mgwalm Wednesday, May 23, 2012 7:25 AM spelling
    Wednesday, May 23, 2012 7:24 AM
  • Simon, ive looked at it and its unusable in my suitation, eg, System.ComponentModel is missing, it contains INotifyPropertyChanged, plus the asyncCTP that i use heavily, plus DataContractAttribute, plus ... too many to mention.

Regards

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 12:10 PM