none
Creating an MSI from a VSTO solution RRS feed

• Question

• First of all I would like to let you know that I am not a developer and have no past history of coding at all, so this might be a ridiculously silly question for most of you but here goes ...

I have found an outlook addin solution that I would like to deploy out to end users, and I found this https://github.com/braxtone/PhishReporter-Outlook-Add-In 

I have edited the necessary to suit our environment but whenever I try to package as an MSI for deployment, Visual Studio 2017 just hangs for up to 2 hours and then eventually I get a popup that says "install server not responding" . I have searched the net and worked through any suggested solutions but no joy and if I am honest I dont know what the install server is that is being referred to ?

I am assuming it is an option somewhere I have missed but again as a none dev and a first time VS user I am working a little blind, does anybody have any suggestions ?

I can  provide more information if required.

Thank you

Thursday, June 15, 2017 5:48 AM

Answers

• Hi DTR1981,

There are 2 ways to deploy VSTO solution.

(1) Using ClickOnce

(2) Using Windows Installer

Deploying a Solution by Using ClickOnce

When you deploy a solution by using ClickOnce, you publish it to a central location where users can install and run it. You can update the solution without having to distribute a new setup program to users.  This deployment option is simpler, but you can't show users custom setup pages. Also, solutions must be installed multiple times on any computer that has more than one user

Reference:

Deploying an Office Solution by Using ClickOnce.

Deploying a Solution by Using Windows Installer

When you deploy a solution by using Windows Installer, you distribute a setup program to users, and users install the solution by using that program. The setup program can install a solution for all users of a computer at the same time, rather than the current user only. You also have a bit more control over options that appear to users when they install your solution. For example, you can show a licensing agreement or enable users to install specific components of a solution. However, if you update the solution, you must distribute a new setup program.

Reference:

Deploying an Office Solution by Using Windows Installer.

it is possible that you miss some step to deploy the Add in.

try to follow the steps mentioned in the document to deploy your solution.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 16, 2017 2:11 AM

All replies

• Hi DTR1981,

There are 2 ways to deploy VSTO solution.

(1) Using ClickOnce

(2) Using Windows Installer

Deploying a Solution by Using ClickOnce

When you deploy a solution by using ClickOnce, you publish it to a central location where users can install and run it. You can update the solution without having to distribute a new setup program to users.  This deployment option is simpler, but you can't show users custom setup pages. Also, solutions must be installed multiple times on any computer that has more than one user

Reference:

Deploying an Office Solution by Using ClickOnce.

Deploying a Solution by Using Windows Installer

When you deploy a solution by using Windows Installer, you distribute a setup program to users, and users install the solution by using that program. The setup program can install a solution for all users of a computer at the same time, rather than the current user only. You also have a bit more control over options that appear to users when they install your solution. For example, you can show a licensing agreement or enable users to install specific components of a solution. However, if you update the solution, you must distribute a new setup program.

Reference:

Deploying an Office Solution by Using Windows Installer.

it is possible that you miss some step to deploy the Add in.

try to follow the steps mentioned in the document to deploy your solution.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 16, 2017 2:11 AM
  • Hi DTR1981,

I can see that you had not responded to this thread for a long time.

is your issue is solved now?

if yes then try to post the solution and mark it as an answer.

if your issue is exist then try to refer the solution given by me.

I can see that suggestion given by me can able to solve your issue.

so I suggest you to check it and if you think that it can solve your issue then try to mark that suggestion as an answer.

so that we can close this thread.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, June 29, 2017 8:13 AM
  • Thank you Deepak, working through those worked great
    Monday, July 24, 2017 12:01 PM