Failed to compile interface file RRS feed

• Question

• User37727 posted

Hi, I'm getting this error while running my iOS application. Anyone know how to resolve this issue??

Friday, September 19, 2014 8:10 AM

All replies

• User75318 posted

I'm getting the same error.

I got it on stable channel (using business license!) and I now get it on beta channel (5.4 build 240 with business license!).

The same project compiled without errors before the business license trouble began for us indies. I have not modified the project in the meantime because I have been unable to use Xamarin for a week.

I am able to open and edit the storyboard with the iOS designer.

I am using Xcode 6 from App Store.

Compiling interface definitions /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/ibtool --errors --warnings --notices --minimum-deployment-target 7.0 --output-format human-readable-text --compile "/Volumes/SSD/Projects/Taskgnu/Taskgnu.iOS/bin/iPhoneSimulator/Debug/TaskgnuiOS.app/iPhoneStoryboard.storyboardc" "/Volumes/SSD/Projects/Taskgnu/Taskgnu.iOS/UI/iPhoneStoryboard.storyboard" --sdk "/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneSimulator.platform/Developer/SDKs/iPhoneSimulator8.0.sdk" 2014-09-19 13:43:01.256 ibtoold[1021:180125] Exception raised while unarchiving document objects - -[NSTaggedPointerString getCharacters:range:]: Range {0, 10} out of bounds; string length 6 /* com.apple.ibtool.errors */ /Volumes/SSD/Projects/Taskgnu/Taskgnu.iOS/UI/iPhoneStoryboard.storyboard: error: The document "iPhoneStoryboard.storyboard" could not be opened. The operation couldn’t be completed. (com.apple.InterfaceBuilder error -1.) Recovery Suggestion: Check the console log for additional information. ibtool exited with code 1

Friday, September 19, 2014 11:52 AM
  • User75318 posted

Forgot to attach screenshot

Friday, September 19, 2014 11:54 AM
  • User37727 posted

Hi @Frozengnu?

I resolved this issue. What I did is to change the Deployment Target of project to 7.1 Go to Options of iOS Project. In left Side bar select iOS Application and change Deployment Target to latest iOS version.

May be this help you

Friday, September 19, 2014 12:14 PM
  • User75318 posted

@Ruchi.1451? I changed the deployment target to 8.0, converted my storyboard to use size classes and I'm still getting the error.

I also tried 7.0, 7.1 but I'm using beta 5.4 and xc6, so I did not expect those to work.

Apparently others have had the same error and fixed it using similar tactics :

http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/23743/error-failed-to-compile-interface-file-see-build-output-for-details http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/23964/i-got-an-error-failed-to-compile-interface-file-see-build-output-for-details

But it does not seem to work on 5.4

Compiling interface definitions /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/ibtool --errors --warnings --notices --minimum-deployment-target 8.0 --output-format human-readable-text --compile "/Volumes/SSD/Projects/Taskgnu/Taskgnu.iOS/bin/iPhoneSimulator/Debug/TaskgnuiOS.app/iPhoneStoryboard.storyboardc" "/Volumes/SSD/Projects/Taskgnu/Taskgnu.iOS/UI/iPhoneStoryboard.storyboard" --sdk "/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneSimulator.platform/Developer/SDKs/iPhoneSimulator8.0.sdk" 2014-09-19 15:53:57.453 ibtoold[2932:435238] Exception raised while unarchiving document objects - -[NSTaggedPointerString getCharacters:range:]: Range {0, 10} out of bounds; string length 6 /* com.apple.ibtool.errors */ /Volumes/SSD/Projects/Taskgnu/Taskgnu.iOS/UI/iPhoneStoryboard.storyboard: error: The document "iPhoneStoryboard.storyboard" could not be opened. The operation couldn’t be completed. (com.apple.InterfaceBuilder error -1.) Recovery Suggestion: Check the console log for additional information. ibtool exited with code 1

Friday, September 19, 2014 1:57 PM
  • User258 posted

Update: Since new storyboards did compile, I gradually removed storyboard items until the project storyboard compiled. Turned out to be a problem with 2 images assigned to 2 buttons. Once removed the storyboard compiled. Dunno why. I add the images in code now.

Monday, September 22, 2014 12:43 PM
  • User893 posted

This looks like a Xcode 6 issue, not a MT issue. See :

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/25754763/cant-open-storyboard

See attached files for the image resources that need to be removed.

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 1:39 AM
  • User893 posted

You also need to remove the Resource section (see second image).

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 1:41 AM