none
Overlay a movie, either Flash or Silverlight, with a graphic RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to overlay a Flash movie with a graphic I've created in Design.  The movie was originally created to sit beneath the graphic, in a separate section but now I've modified the graphic to be curvy and groovy and I'd like to overhang the movie.  Firstly, is this possible?  Secondly, would it be possible with Silverlight.  I've seen this sort of thing in Dreamweaver sites - for example a graphic has a section cutaway and a movie will play through the gap.  If it is possible what are the steps I will have to take.   

Thanks,

Cainsy

Monday, August 9, 2010 6:35 AM

Answers

• Umm Flash will always be on top unless you use transparency mode. It has nothing to do with the graphics editors. Besides if you are seeing a curvy and groovy graphic it is proably the player skin in the Flash file not a page graphic showing "on top" of the flash file.

I would expect silverlight to act the same way. My Silverlight videos have a player that sits on top of my html page.

MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com
    • Marked as answer by Cainsy Tuesday, September 21, 2010 2:48 PM
    Monday, August 9, 2010 3:28 PM
  • Are you asking about creating a graphical frame around the video?  Like a TV Set graphic around a video so it looks like the video is playing from a TV?

If you are this is no different then laying out a page (slice the graphics and position them as needed).

--
    Chris Hanscom - Microsoft MVP
    On Facebook | On Twitter | Resource Center | Veign's Blog | Web Development Help

Get a Complete Website Analysis by Veign
    • Marked as answer by Cainsy Tuesday, September 21, 2010 2:53 PM
    Monday, August 9, 2010 4:37 PM

All replies

• Umm Flash will always be on top unless you use transparency mode. It has nothing to do with the graphics editors. Besides if you are seeing a curvy and groovy graphic it is proably the player skin in the Flash file not a page graphic showing "on top" of the flash file.

I would expect silverlight to act the same way. My Silverlight videos have a player that sits on top of my html page.

MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com
    • Marked as answer by Cainsy Tuesday, September 21, 2010 2:48 PM
    Monday, August 9, 2010 3:28 PM
  • Are you asking about creating a graphical frame around the video?  Like a TV Set graphic around a video so it looks like the video is playing from a TV?

If you are this is no different then laying out a page (slice the graphics and position them as needed).

--
    On Facebook | On Twitter | Resource Center | Veign's Blog | Web Development Help

• Marked as answer by Cainsy Tuesday, September 21, 2010 2:53 PM
    Monday, August 9, 2010 4:37 PM
  • Hi, Thanks for the advice.  Indeed the websites that I'd seen had used a skin inside Flash file with some 3D graphics.  After a lot of trial and error, and one anxious PC rebuild, in Design and Blend, as well as Flash and illustrator, I cracked it.  I'd been trying to reproduce the shape of a letterhead with a wave in it, then place it over the movie.  Eventually, I was able to produce Silverlight and Flash versions.  However I haven't been able to get the Silverlight version to run on all pages of the website but I guess that's another question. 

Rob Cains

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 2:48 PM
  • Thanks for your reply.  On your suggestion I ended up slicing up my graphic in Design, although my inexperience made it the process take a long time.  In the end I was able to recreate pretty closely the shape I was after.  Then I was able overlay the graphic on to the movie. 

Rob Cains

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 2:53 PM
  • This is the reason I think there needs to be a website that sells pre-made web elements for really cheap.  So I can purchase a TV framed around a video, or a specially styled table, pre-made jQuery element, or rounded corner box or whatever.  Sell things for $1 - $5 per element.

Post a link, lets see what you came up with.

--

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 2:58 PM
  • Flash can be below other elements on the page, with the proper markup.

See my crude example at: http://brightwillow.net/youtubeunder.html using a youtube video example.

That's not necessarily how you want to do it, if you have graphics you can simply put around it.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 3:45 PM