Is recording of video possible in Load Testing RRS feed

• Question

• In my application, While recording there is an audio video and after listening to it we have to mark the option.a,b,c or d.

Is it possible and if yes how .

Please explain in detail

Please help me out anyone.Thanks in Advance

Thursday, October 28, 2010 6:21 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Web performance test just consists a series of http requests and the web test result window just shows the raw http response. so you could absolutely record the video requests. However, you will not be able to see any video in result window though the data is reached.

Thanks. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help
    Monday, November 1, 2010 5:08 AM
  • Thanks Neelesh for your reply

I will explain my application in detail to you and please provide solution to it

There is 1 test which contains audio video file after listening to audio there will be 4 options based on audio listening one has to mark the correct answer.

Like in you tube there is video.

Apllication works on flash player

If you have any further query please feel free to ask.

I want some script for load testing where 100 users will simultaneously login with different login id and password and that login id and password should be randomly generated not picked from data table then student will listen to audio by clicking on Play button and after listening he will answer the question.

This is the whole scenario can we record this type of application and if yes please guide also please provide me the script for random generated userid and password

I will be waiting for your repply at the earliest

Hi,

If you want to run this scenario for 100 users that are randomly generated (it's not clear how a system will recognize a random user) - is there no authentication? You can simply convert to coded Web Test and generate the random users you wish and pass those along. Visual Studio Load Testing, like Edwer stated works at the HTTP(S) layer and doesn't record or playback any client side interactions. So if you want to stress your server at the HTTP layer, this is the right tool.

For the flash application and the user selection (post playing of video), you should find out if this is simply a client side processing using java script or some other means or whether the user choice is sent to the server back end as part of the HTTP stream as a payload. If its being sent to the server back end you must be able to parse that out and try different combinations if thats a requirement.

If the user choice is being sent over HTTP as a JSON object and/or an XML object embedded in the stream, you will need the set of plug-ins at teamtestplugins.codeplex.com to be able to view the XML data and work with it to parameterize and do other things.

If its only a client side activity and there is no server interaction of the user selection of options, your best bet is to use Coded UI to test that functionality. This is available by adding a new "Coded UI" test type from Visual studion. If the user choice has significant performance impact then you should consider driving the UI / JAVA script side using other means.

The Flash player for example from youtube will just get recorded as a http://foo.bar.com/video_name.swf URL. A lot will depend on your application on how you would get the replay to work. For example if a site is dynamic and has 'recommendations' based on user choices, your tests will not find the expected responses for the request you send out (as the server may decided to put up some other set of choices for the videos).

It's difficult to create a generic load test file / script that will work in a generic way - so you will need to record this and try out what you get and follow the Debugging Techniques blog to figure out how to get your scenario to be replayable.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/edglas/archive/2010/03/24/web-test-authoring-and-debugging-techniques-for-visual-studio-2010.aspx

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 12:15 PM

All replies

• In my application, While recording there is an audio video and after listening to it we have to mark the option.a,b,c or d.

Is it possible and if yes how .

Please explain in detail

Please help me out anyone.Thanks in Advance

Thursday, October 28, 2010 6:24 AM
  • Can you provide more details? What type of application is it? Is there a condition that triggers the 'completion of listening to the video/audio' etc. Is the application Silverlight or flash based? If it's silverlight based you can try plugins at http://teamtestplugins.codeplex.com where these plugins provide specific capabilities for RIA apps.

That said, web performance test primarily works at the protocol level so to the extent your UI options are available as part of the request (form post parameters for example) you can data drive these across different options.

Thursday, October 28, 2010 7:55 AM

I will explain my application in detail to you and please provide solution to it

There is 1 test which contains audio video file after listening to audio there will be 4 options based on audio listening one has to mark the correct answer.

I want some script for load testing where 100 users will simultaneously login with different login id and password and that login id and password should be randomly generated not picked from data table then student will listen to audio by clicking on Play button and after listening he will answer the question.

This is the whole scenario can we record this type of application and if yes please guide also please provide me the script for random generated userid and password

Thursday, October 28, 2010 9:25 AM
  • I will explain my application in detail to you and please provide solution to it

I will be waiting for your reply at the earliest

Thursday, October 28, 2010 11:50 AM
  • Hello,

Web performance test just consists a series of http requests and the web test result window just shows the raw http response. so you could absolutely record the video requests. However, you will not be able to see any video in result window though the data is reached.

Thanks. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help
    Monday, November 1, 2010 5:08 AM
  • Hello,

When you mention 'login id and password should be randomly generated', there are two ideas you can consider:

1. Convert the declaritive web test to coded web test and add code in it for generating random information. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms182552.aspx

2. Add a request plug-in for setting the corresponding field with random value. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms182554(VS.80).aspx

Thanks.

Monday, November 1, 2010 5:23 AM

Hi,

If you want to run this scenario for 100 users that are randomly generated (it's not clear how a system will recognize a random user) - is there no authentication? You can simply convert to coded Web Test and generate the random users you wish and pass those along. Visual Studio Load Testing, like Edwer stated works at the HTTP(S) layer and doesn't record or playback any client side interactions. So if you want to stress your server at the HTTP layer, this is the right tool.

For the flash application and the user selection (post playing of video), you should find out if this is simply a client side processing using java script or some other means or whether the user choice is sent to the server back end as part of the HTTP stream as a payload. If its being sent to the server back end you must be able to parse that out and try different combinations if thats a requirement.

If the user choice is being sent over HTTP as a JSON object and/or an XML object embedded in the stream, you will need the set of plug-ins at teamtestplugins.codeplex.com to be able to view the XML data and work with it to parameterize and do other things.

If its only a client side activity and there is no server interaction of the user selection of options, your best bet is to use Coded UI to test that functionality. This is available by adding a new "Coded UI" test type from Visual studion. If the user choice has significant performance impact then you should consider driving the UI / JAVA script side using other means.

The Flash player for example from youtube will just get recorded as a http://foo.bar.com/video_name.swf URL. A lot will depend on your application on how you would get the replay to work. For example if a site is dynamic and has 'recommendations' based on user choices, your tests will not find the expected responses for the request you send out (as the server may decided to put up some other set of choices for the videos).

It's difficult to create a generic load test file / script that will work in a generic way - so you will need to record this and try out what you get and follow the Debugging Techniques blog to figure out how to get your scenario to be replayable.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/edglas/archive/2010/03/24/web-test-authoring-and-debugging-techniques-for-visual-studio-2010.aspx

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 12:15 PM