How to pin a Metro style app?

Question

• Hi,

I have a question when testing a blank javascript application.

When I debug the first time I see the application content. Then I click "Start" on the left bottom corner and found the app is pined. I then unpinned it and found I cannot get it pinned anymore. What happens? Or in another word, how can I deploy the Metro style app to a Win 8 machine and get it pinned?

Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:57 AM

Answers

All replies

• Mouse over Logo > Search (Do not write anything) > Apps

Then scroll until you find your app listed > Right click it > Pin

All installed apps should be listed there, even the ones you created.

----Alecs

• Edited by Alecs_ander Thursday, September 15, 2011 10:27 AM
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 10:25 AM
  • You can also deploy your application from Visual Studio with the "Deploy" option on the context menu for the project or from the build menu.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:27 PM
  • Mouse over Logo > Search (Do not write anything) > Apps

Then scroll until you find your app listed > Right click it > Pin

All installed apps should be listed there, even the ones you created.

----Alecs

Thank you for your reply. Do you know a way to do that without user interaction? As VS could do that I believe there is a way to do so.

>You can also deploy your application from Visual Studio with the "Deploy" option on the context menu for the project or from the build menu.

Andy, I have tried "Deploy" but nothing happened. The app is not pinned even though I could see below in output window:

========== Build: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

========== Deploy: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 skipped ==========

Friday, September 16, 2011 1:16 AM
  • Afraid I'm not aware of a solution to the problem but you could try to workaround the issue by changing the package name. Double click on the package.appxmanifest node in solution explorer and in the manifest designer go to the "Packaging" tab and change the value of the "Package Name". This will essentially create a new installation and should give you a new tile, you could also workaround it by creating a new project.
    Friday, September 16, 2011 1:53 AM
  • Afraid I'm not aware of a solution to the problem but you could try to workaround the issue by changing the package name. Double click on the package.appxmanifest node in solution explorer and in the manifest designer go to the "Packaging" tab and change the value of the "Package Name". This will essentially create a new installation and should give you a new tile, you could also workaround it by creating a new project.

Thanks. I'll leave the topic open to see whether I could get a solution.

Friday, September 16, 2011 2:02 AM
  • Also, if you open it a certain number of times (three or so) it automatically does it for you.
    Friday, September 16, 2011 2:06 AM
  • What you actually did is that you unpinned your application, and Start screen remembers the position of your application. You can search for your app (just open Start and start typing), right click on it and select Pin from the menu that shows at the bottom. After this, your app should remain pinned after every installation (Except if you unpin it)
    Friday, September 16, 2011 6:19 PM
  • What you actually did is that you unpinned your application, and Start screen remembers the position of your application. You can search for your app (just open Start and start typing), right click on it and select Pin from the menu that shows at the bottom. After this, your app should remain pinned after every installation (Except if you unpin it)

Thanks. Do you know whether we can do that with any API? For example if I add a button on my App and want to let user pin/unpin my app if he clicks the button what shall I do?
    Monday, September 19, 2011 3:02 AM
  • Currently no.  You can add secondary but the main tile pinning is done only by the user.
    Jeff Sanders (MSFT)
    Friday, October 14, 2011 12:52 PM