Distributing dashboards/analytics without power service RRS feed

• Question

• Hello. I am just using power bi at my company and I don't have power service. The company is wary of cloud based things. We also don't have sharepoint. 

What is the best/easiest solution for getting analytics to business leaders with Power BI? Is there a way that people can download power BI and then you can share the pibx files but not give them access to underlying data or visualization and fields? 

Also, what about a large set of data that a number of analysts have access to for report creation? Thanks!!

Sunday, January 8, 2017 10:42 AM

Answers

• Hi, I wrote up a few notes about using Power BI in an on-premises environment here:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/samlester/2016/04/18/power-bi-ssrs-2016-in-an-on-premises-environment/

Be sure to read the updated note at the top with the latest update from the product team in terms of future road map for on-premises support.

Essentially, your only option at this point is to share/email a Power BI Desktop file (.pbix) with another user and let them open it in Power BI Desktop on their machine.

In terms of access to the underlying data, you have a few options. When you connect to a data source such as SQL Server, you have the option to either import the data or use direct query. When you import, the data is imported into the .pbix file, so sharing it is easy, but comes with no security (similar to sharing an Excel spreadsheet with data in it). With direct query, you can use security so that the user's credentials are passed to the underlying data source to allow/prevent access based on their access. If they have access, they'll see the visuals/data, etc.

Best of luck,
    Sam Lester (MSFT)

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/samlester/

Twitter - @SQLSamLester

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, January 9, 2017 7:55 AM

All replies

• Hi Albo44,

For Power BI, there are service and desktop version. Based on your scenario, I suggest you download a Power BI desktop, I download from here and install it. After installation, you will see the GUI as follows.

In the left in first screenshot, you can get data from external resource. For instance, you can load data from Excel, SQL Server database, Analysis Services, CSV file, Web and so on, which is similar Power Query to import data in Power Pivot. You will see all your resource table when you click the green button. Just like the Power Pivot, you can create relationship between the table by clicking the "Manage Relationship" or the highlighted in white line. You can create measure and calculated column using DAX, the syntax is same.

You can create new report using the native visualization. It will display all the report when you click the button highlighted in red line in screenshot above. You also see the fields on the interfaces like the following screenshot.

In addition, there are also custom visualization, you can download and load it to Power BI desktop, create the expected report.

For more details about Power BI desktop, please review the article.

If you have any issue about Power BI, please post it to Power BI community for getting professional support.

Best Regards,
    Angelia

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 9, 2017 2:33 AM
  • Hi, I wrote up a few notes about using Power BI in an on-premises environment here:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/samlester/2016/04/18/power-bi-ssrs-2016-in-an-on-premises-environment/

Be sure to read the updated note at the top with the latest update from the product team in terms of future road map for on-premises support.

Essentially, your only option at this point is to share/email a Power BI Desktop file (.pbix) with another user and let them open it in Power BI Desktop on their machine.

In terms of access to the underlying data, you have a few options. When you connect to a data source such as SQL Server, you have the option to either import the data or use direct query. When you import, the data is imported into the .pbix file, so sharing it is easy, but comes with no security (similar to sharing an Excel spreadsheet with data in it). With direct query, you can use security so that the user's credentials are passed to the underlying data source to allow/prevent access based on their access. If they have access, they'll see the visuals/data, etc.

Best of luck,
    Sam Lester (MSFT)

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/samlester/

Twitter - @SQLSamLester

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, January 9, 2017 7:55 AM