none
VS 2015 problem with Copy Web Site

Question

• I installed vs 2015 Professional on a new pc, added a new website, but when I tried to copy files from web server provider into the project I ran into a problem.  I was able to connect to the web server using the Copy Web Site menu function and could see all my wwwroot files as well as all of my folders.  However when I tried to access the folder files i.e. Bin directory,  I get an error "The Bin directory does not exist".  As I said, I can see the folders, I just can't access the files in those folders.  I was able to access all of the files and folders using my Filezilla software without problem, but I would sure like to use VS function.

Thanks for any help.

Tom

Monday, March 07, 2016 11:40 PM

Answers

• Hi Tom,

Thanks for your post.

>>However when I tried to access the folder files i.e. Bin directory,  I get an error "The Bin directory does not exist".  

Could you please tell me the detailed steps to reproduce your issue?

Does the folder files under File System menu?

I did a test in my side using VS2015 Update1. I created a new web site and right click it to copy web site. Click Connect button, try to access the folder files. I can open it in my side successfully.

Please try to create a new website then try the copy web site function again.

1. If it works well for the new website. I think the cause is probably in your project itself. Clean and rebuild your project. Or create a new project/solution, started with an empty website. Then Restore all files from your backup to a temporary folder and then copy these files into the new web folder

2. If still the same problem for the new created web site. In this case I suppose there is something wrong with your VS. Please repair your VS2015 or install the VS2015 Update1 then try it again.

In addition, If the cause is not in your VS2015 itself. since the forum is to discuss the VS IDE issue, and your problem seems that it is related to the ftp publish. I suggest you can post the issue directly to IIS forum:http://forums.iis.net/ , it will be better support.

Thanks for your understanding. 

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Wednesday, March 09, 2016 3:17 AM