System tray icon RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

I have an application that is controlled by a service.  when the service starts, an icon is supposed to be placed in the system tray and this icon is then used to display a balloon intermittently.  the problem is that when the icon is placed in the balloon and for some time after this, it is visible in the system tray, but after some time if i try to hover the mouse over the icon, it then disappears, although i still get a message that it is visible. 

this happens whether "hide inactive icons" on the taskbar properties is checked or not.

please let me know what i may be doing wrong...at my wits end.  i am working in VS 2003

Thanks for any help.

amongin

Sunday, February 19, 2006 10:36 AM

Answers

•  

I didn't know it was possible to interact with the desktop from a service.

Services can interact with the desktop, we do it all time, it's just not apparent to us. User written services cannot hower unless they have logon information of the current user then they will look just like the user's user processes.

Many services have a logon options here the Admin has supplied her username and password to the service in order to be authenticated for desktop access. Yet another example of this is the Schedule Tasks service.

But my thinking was the same as yours. I'm wondering of the OP's service has is authenticated for desktop access and that's not what's causing these strange problems.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 4:02 AM

All replies

• I'm confused on this one.  I didn't know it was possible to interact with the desktop from a service.  It just doesn't make sense.  A service starts up and runs wheter you are logged in or not.  If you are not logged into the machine, what happens when it the program trys to create a tray icon, does it simply crash?  Would it not make more sense to build a smaller client application that runs the tray icon and interacts with the service to return information or send commands?
    Tuesday, February 21, 2006 2:06 AM
  •  

I didn't know it was possible to interact with the desktop from a service.

Services can interact with the desktop, we do it all time, it's just not apparent to us. User written services cannot hower unless they have logon information of the current user then they will look just like the user's user processes.

Many services have a logon options here the Admin has supplied her username and password to the service in order to be authenticated for desktop access. Yet another example of this is the Schedule Tasks service.

But my thinking was the same as yours. I'm wondering of the OP's service has is authenticated for desktop access and that's not what's causing these strange problems.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 4:02 AM
  • when a process has ended and "forgot" to remove its tray icon

this tray icon will remain

however, the tray icon will disappear once hovered

maybe the service has finished running

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 11:51 PM
  • Is it possible that the app is setting the system tray icon to Nothing?
    Thursday, March 15, 2007 1:11 AM
  • Please post the code you have written to add and remove the icon.

Richard

Friday, March 16, 2007 11:19 AM