none
.NET 4.5.1 Periodically Gets Corrupted RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I need some assistance in trying to get to the bottom of this situation. I have a Windows 2008 Server and the Windows System is all up to date with Windows Updates and we have .NET 4.5.1 installed on the machine.   Periodically, I cannot say the exact period (maybe every 1-2 weeks), the .NET 4.5.1 installed on that server becomes corrupted.  The signs are the same: there is no network connectivity, inquiring the services running on the machine is unresponsive at best, the anti-virus executable does not run (Kaspersky Total Security - among other similar conditions).  The reason we installed .NET 4.5.1 was due to our need to use SharePoint 2010.  We actually could do away with this need if we had an environment where we could run a Calendar/Bulletin Board.   I am looking to do away with this latter configuration.  But for now, is there a reason why periodically .NET 4.5.1 becomes corrupted on Windows 2008 Server?

I have attempted to repair .NET 4.5.1 with the most recent tool that I downloaded from the Microsoft Website but it fails.

I've also tried the 'sfc /scannow' to no avail.

Thanks for your assistance.

~Sreyes27

• Edited by sreyes27 Monday, May 15, 2017 3:31 AM
    Sunday, May 14, 2017 3:25 PM

All replies

• Hi sreyes27,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

Is there any error message when you failed to repair it?

You could uninstall .net framework 4.5.1 from your pc and then re-download and install it. You could get it from here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2858728/the-.net-framework-4.5.1-offline-installer-and-.net-framework-4.5.1-language-pack-offline-installer-is-available-for-windows-vista,-windows-7,-windows-8,-windows-server-2008,-windows-server-2008-r2-and-windows-server-2012

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 15, 2017 7:42 AM
  • It did produce a message (I believe even an error code).  So it reported the repair didn't work.  At the moment I was not present when the machine was rebooted but when I came into the office, the machine had booted with no apparent .NET 4.5.1 problems.  The machine (Windows 2008 Server) was apparently ok for about a week.  Then it happened again.  .NET 4.5.1 was messed up again.  I'm guessing there is a scheduled job somewhere which runs and whenever it runs, it causes the .NET to be corrupted.  Just s guess since that Windows 2008 Server is not being used.

Any ideas how to get to the bottom of this?

Thank you,

~sreyes27

Monday, May 15, 2017 4:04 PM
  • Hi,

>>The signs are the same: there is no network connectivity, inquiring the services running on the machine is unresponsive at best, the anti-virus executable does not run

Is there any error message when .net framework 4.5.1 mess up? To check if this issue is related to .net framework 4.5.1, you can try to use the .NET Framework setup verification tool: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/10/13/8999004.aspx to verify if .net framework 4.5.1 corrupted.

You could also download Process Monitor from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx to diagnose the issue.

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 7:49 AM
  • Thank you for your help.   will download the verification tool and report back.

~sreyes27

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 4:25 PM
  • I ran the verification tool and it didn't report any errors except that my .Net 4.5.1 didn't have any service packs or updates installed.  I am not sure whether this is fine.  Is it?  How can I use the Processor Monitor tool to identify any errors?

Thank you again,

~sreyes27

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 6:24 PM
  • Hi,

Open the log %temp%\setupverifier_errors_*.txt – this log only contains information about any errors found during verification of a chosen product. You could also check the other log file.

• 0 – verification completed successfully for the specified product
    • 1 – the required file setupverifier.ini was not found in the same path as setupverifier.exe
    • 2 – a product name was passed in that cannot be verified because it does not support installing on the OS that the tool is running on
    • 3 – a product name was passed in that does not exist in setupverifier.ini
    • 100 – verification failed for the specified product
    • 1602 – verification was canceled

When I open visual studio, you could see it in process monitor. Capture of thread stacks for each operation make it possible in many cases to identify the root cause of an operation. When your computer mess up, you could use it.

Best regards,

Joyce

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 9:19 AM
  • Excellent information you gave me.  I  will definitely try to collect the errors.  It's been a few days since it has shown to have any errors and all logs have been cleared so as to better to identify the error.

Thank you for your help.

~Sreyes27

Wednesday, June 14, 2017 4:28 PM