Debugging simultaneously the SAME mobile solution on different devices, using Visual Studio RRS feed

• Question

• I am working on a client (mobile)-server app. Users on different devices using the SAME device app communicates with each other (nothing new). I'm developing using VS Xamarin.

To test the device app I have tried to run two instances of Visual Studio, each one opening the same project, but selecting different Android devices as target. This does not work as it complains about a sharing violation once debug starts (happens during build).

Error message is ...
    Cannot open 'C:\Projects\xxx.Droid.dll' for writing -- 'The process cannot access the file 'C:\Projects\xxx.Droid.dll' because it is being used by another process.

I am aware of the << Debug-> Step into new instance>> feature, and got it to work sort-off (it does not build therefore not running into the above problem). However it still gets into file locked situations at times, making it basically unusable.

Therefore my question, is there a simple workaround other than making a copy of the solution and run them separately (this is what I'm doing, not very elegant and time consuming)?

I am sure I'm not the first one with this debugging requirement. I must be missing something.

Help shall be highly appreciated. Thanks.

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 2:16 AM

All replies

• Hi heinrichRBraasch,

Since it is related to the mobile app, I help you move this case to the Windows Mobile Development forum, maybe the mobile experts have good suggestions or workarounds.

Best Regards,

Jack

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 17, 2017 5:26 AM