none
How do I make the report header go away? RRS feed

• Question

• Using Access 2013

From the (gag) ribbon (design tab) I selected date and time text boxes, which Access inserted into the report header, which did not exist until then. I moved them to the page footer, but now I can't delete the report header that Access inserted into my report!

From the property sheet drop-down list I have selected, one at a time, every object listed, thinking one of them would show up in the report header and was keeping me from removing the header, but none of the listed objects is in the header!

So why can't I remove the header, typically by hovering the mouse over the lower margin until the double-header arrow shows up, and then dragging the margin up to the top until the header is reduced to 0 height, but the margin will not move.

Once again the ribbon design delivers another poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

How do I get the header to go away?  Thanks in advance for any help.  --Fred

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 3:21 PM

Answers

• Hi Fred,

Not sure how you moved the textboxes to the footer but I am guessing Access added a layout to those textboxes when they were created and placed on the header. If so, it's possible an empty layout box is still in the header section.

If you drag a textbox over the header section, do you see a box gets highlighted? If so, you'll have to remove the layout.

One possible way is to drag the lower border of the header to resize it a little bigger. Then, drag your mouse over the entire header section, trying to select any object (visible or not). If you capture any object, you could try deleting it. If it worked, you should then be able to resize the header section down to zero height.

Hope it helps...

• Marked as answer by Fredrated451 Wednesday, May 16, 2018 4:00 PM
    Wednesday, May 16, 2018 3:27 PM

All replies

• Hi Fred,

Not sure how you moved the textboxes to the footer but I am guessing Access added a layout to those textboxes when they were created and placed on the header. If so, it's possible an empty layout box is still in the header section.

If you drag a textbox over the header section, do you see a box gets highlighted? If so, you'll have to remove the layout.

One possible way is to drag the lower border of the header to resize it a little bigger. Then, drag your mouse over the entire header section, trying to select any object (visible or not). If you capture any object, you could try deleting it. If it worked, you should then be able to resize the header section down to zero height.

Hope it helps...

• Marked as answer by Fredrated451 Wednesday, May 16, 2018 4:00 PM
    Wednesday, May 16, 2018 3:27 PM
  • Are you able to set the Header Visible property to 'No'? What happens if you can?
    Wednesday, May 16, 2018 3:48 PM
  • When I switched from design view to layout view, for one instant there was an image of a box in the report header, but when layout view finished displaying, the box was not visible!

So I tried your suggestion, back to design view, increased the size of the report header, then used mouse-down+drag to fish for an invisible object, and it showed up. That allowed me to select it and delete it.

Thanks for your help, it did the job.  --Fred

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 4:00 PM
  • Hi Fred,

Congratulations! Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Lawrence and I were happy to assist. Good luck with your project.

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 4:03 PM
  • If you don't want either of the report header or report footer to exist at all, you can right-click anywhere on the report's design canvas -- not on any existing control -- and the popup menu will show a selected entry for "Report Header/Footer".  Click that to unselect it and (after possibly having to confirm that you want to remove any existing controls in those sections) the header and footer sections will be deleted.

If you want to use the report footer, but don't want the report header, you can't do it that way.  In that case, you have to delete all controls and layouts in the section, and then resize it to give it a height of zero.

Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP
    Access tips: www.datagnostics.com/tips.html

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 4:04 PM
  • Thanks for your reply. In the 'old' days there used to be a menu option to add or remove the report and page header and footer, but I couldn't find it in Access 2013. Thanks to your post I now know where those options are.
    Wednesday, May 16, 2018 8:38 PM