Windows 8 Dev Preview cannot be installed on virtual machine

Question

• The first thing I tried before attempting to install on a separate partition of a spare computer was to install on my workstation running VMWare Workstation.  Windows 8 Dev Preview did not install because it got hung up on a display error and a code generated which I unfortunately did not copy down.  I was installing from the iso file not from an iso DVD (not that that would make a difference though).  Hopefully I'll get my hands on a DL DVD R so that I can try the Dev Tools that ships with the larger Dev Preview installer.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 2:55 AM

Answers

• No, I created the system with a blank disk, then later attached the ISO and powered it up.  No serial number was ever prompted-for.

-Noel

• Marked as answer by penciline Thursday, September 15, 2011 10:16 PM
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:25 PM

All replies

• VMware workstation does not officially support Windows 8.  There have been some confirmed instances of people that were able to install it on Workstation 8.  You can upgrade to it for $99 or download the free 30-day trial.

Also, Oracle's VirtualBox or VMware vSphere 5 have been known to install Windows 8.  :)

If you found this post helpful, please "Vote as Helpful". If it answered your question, remember to "Mark as Answer".

Rich Prescott | MCITP, MCTS, MCP

[Blog] Engineering Efficiency | [Twitter] @Rich_Prescott | [Powershell GUI] Client System Administration tool
    • Proposed as answer by Rich Prescott Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:32 PM
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 2:58 AM
  • Hi Penciline,

Try installing in VMWare Workstation 8. I am able to successfully install it on VMware Workstation 8

Thursday, September 15, 2011 3:22 AM
  • Didn't work for me on VirtualBox (latest) with 32-bit no tools version. It just shows "Windows Developer Preview" and then throws errors and says that i have to restart. SHA1 is ok.
    • Edited by wrootw Thursday, September 15, 2011 3:30 AM
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 3:30 AM
  • Didn't work for me on VirtualBox (latest) with 32-bit no tools version. It just shows "Windows Developer Preview" and then throws errors and says that i have to restart. SHA1 is ok.

Hi,

You can also try using Hyper-V, according to some people here, you can install it without any problem.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 3:41 AM
  • I get a DPC_Watchdog_Violation error and a restart countdown.  It does this twice and on the third reboot it throws a hex-code error which says that your computer needs to be repaired, which I guess would be VMWare 8 Workstation.  I don't know what this DPC_Watchdog_Violation error is.  It said I can search for it online but I won't do that.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 5:37 PM
  • I don't have a server with Hyper-V at home. As a home user i'm using a simple freeware solution like VirtualBox which can run Windows 7. Anyway, i have also tried the same 32-bit iso on Xen and got the same error, so maybe there is a problem with running a 32-bit variant in a vm. Will try x64 on Xen.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:12 PM
  • Maybe Dev Preview is not licensed or authorized by Microsoft to be used in a virtual environment?  Probably only allowed on physical drives?
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:20 PM
  • Maybe it's not, but others report that it works for them, so i want to try to do the same :)
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:23 PM
  • Maybe Dev Preview is not licensed or authorized by Microsoft to be used in a virtual environment?  Probably only allowed on physical drives?

Not, It works in Virtual environment too. You can try using VMware Workstation 8 trial version:
    http://downloads.vmware.com/d/info/desktop_end_user_computing/vmware_workstation/8_0
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:25 PM
  • VMware workstation does not officially support Windows 8.  There have been some confirmed instances of people that were able to install it on Workstation 8.

Yes, I have done that.

I created a Windows 7 x64 machine and installed Windows 8 Preview with Developer Tools from the ISO.

Only thing is, don't install the VMware Tools SVGA driver.  All the rest of the tools go in, and while it's sluggish, the W8 interface works with the default display driver.

-Noel

Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:25 PM
  • Yeah, I finally got it to install both on VMWare Workstation and on VMWare Fusion (Mac) but I chose MS-DOS as the OS to install.  I tried using Other-64-bit as the install option which failed every time.  But now I don't have networking on Workstation nor on Fusion.  In other words Internet Explorer can't get to the internet.  The troubleshooter says to install the driver for networking and I had the NAT option set then changed it to Bridged and neither worked.

Stumpted.

-penciline

Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:18 PM
  • Networking works just fine for me...

Why didn't you try making a Windows 7 x64 VM?  Just curious.  Microsoft has said "it'll run on any Windows 7 machine".

-Noel

Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:29 PM
  • Noel,

I actually did read your earlier post and attempted to create a w7 64-bit vm using VMWare Workstation but the installer required a serial number.  Did you install using an old Win7 serial?  If you bypassed this necessity, how did you go about the installation?  

This is why I opted for MS-DOS because no requirement for serials were there.

one of my other machines is a notebook with AMD processor and I was successfully able to install WITH networking on a separate partition that I created.  I even created a third partition for the installer with DevTools though I probably won't be using that option anyway because I can't see myself developing any silverlight apps or actual C++ or C# based apps.  I was mainly interested in the OS functionality and Adobe Flash and I see that Flash nor Silverlight are supported by the Metro UI IE10--only the win8 desktop IE support those activex controls.

-penciline

P.S. Thanks for the reply

Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:36 PM
  • No, I created the system with a blank disk, then later attached the ISO and powered it up.  No serial number was ever prompted-for.

-Noel

• Marked as answer by penciline Thursday, September 15, 2011 10:16 PM
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:25 PM
  • Noel!  Yes!  That method of installation works like a charm.  I can see what you mean about graphics being slow though.

It has been quite some time since I used this method of installation for VMware that I totally forgot about it.  Thanks for the tip.  And I hope others who are watching this thread will take note of your method if they don't at first succeed with their own attempts of installing the Dev Preview.

Best,

-penciline

Thursday, September 15, 2011 10:16 PM
  • It's great that you were able to get it installed.  Glad I could help!

-Noel

Thursday, September 15, 2011 10:22 PM
  • Hi

I am able to successfully install both 32 and 64 bit version on Oracle VirtualBox version 4.1.4r74291

In OS Type you will find: Windows 8 - Windows 8 (64-bit)

cheers
    Luciano

Saturday, October 22, 2011 3:58 PM
  • This OS type is only a preset of settings, which does all the manual things for you. People were already able to run Win8 in the older Vbox versions by setting all the acceleration settings. But if you hardware doesn't support VT-x or AMD-V (like mine), then nothing will help.
    Sunday, October 23, 2011 9:53 AM
  • I can confirm also that the following editions will install and run correctly as "VM"s:

Win8DevPreEd-32bit  -  VM Ware Workstation v8 (and up), MS Hyper-V, Virtual Box v4 (and up)

Win8DevPreEd-64bit - VM Ware Workstation v8 (and up), MS Hyper-V, Virtual Box v4 (and up)

Win8DevPreEd-Server-64bit - VM Ware Workstation v8 (and up), MS Hyper-V, Virtual Box v4 (and up)

I have installed these editions (except where denied by not having 64bit capabilities) on:

Intel P3 - 800MHz

Intel P4- 2.2GHz non-HT

Intel P4-3.0 GHz HT

Intel Pentium D (many versions/models)

Intel Atom (latest)

Intel Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Quad  (many versions/models)

Intel Xeons (from the old ones with 512KB of cache) to a much newer model at 2.8Ghz and 8MB cache

AMD Barton core Socket A at 1.3 GHz

AMD Athlon 64 (single core) at 2.1 GHz

AMD Athlon 64 x2  (many versions/models)

AMD Athlon xII (many versions/models)

AMD Phenom x4 and x6 (many versions/models)

...have had ZERO problems with these CPUs   ...any "issues" that have arisen have usually been "throw-back days" hardware-related (i.e. drivers or resource configurations...  for small example:  remember the old ISA cards with IRQs set by jumpers manually) ... and not "issues" with the release... bearing in mind the maturity of this pre-beta release anyway.

**the posts about having/trying to install dos vms and all...  wrong direction...  THINK about what you are trying to accomplish and then track backwards seeking common points between what DID work before Win8DevPreEd and what isn't working NOW...  you know "problem solve" ....  then, just properly install Win8DevPreEd as a VM based on your problem solving....

Some people think I'm nuts, but the main "production" client I use everyday has the developer preview edition on it....  how else does someone fully and better evaluate and test an OS platform, software, hardware, etc?  You put it into normal daily usage and then when issues arise, be a good IT consultant and exercise problem resolution skills (I hope said person has) and go about the rest of your day....  If you planned the install right, then recovery from critical or fatal issues should be a SNAP.   Just one guy's outlook on things, I know, but there it is.

I love (for the better and most part) the direction and the progress Microsoft has made with this next-gen OS release.  Can't wait for a future Beta release to test and then onward to the future with RTM and the Retail.

Sunday, October 23, 2011 3:04 PM
  • Hi,

Reading this thread, someone mentioned I can install the preview on a vSphere 5 system.  What about vSphere 4?   I have a vSphere 4 setup, and tried to install it using the CD/DVD via a datastored iso.  What happens is that when I boot up the vm, it shows "Windows Developer Preview" for about a few seconds and then the vm shuts off.

Can I install the DevPreview on a vSphere 4 server?

Thanks

Ed

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 2:17 AM
  • After having many of the same problems outlined here and in other forums, I have successfully installed Win8 x64 developer preview w/ tools on VMWare Workstation 8.

The idea is to choose only minimal but necessary options and also specify settings specifically vs. auto. This is what I did:

> Download Win8 ISO

> Create new VM in Workstation 8 using the Custom method:

-- Choose Workstation 8 compatibility

-- Install Operating System LATER.

-- Guest OS type: Windows 7 x64. (It will not ask for serial # if choose to install later, as above.)

-- # processors 1, cores 1. (I did these even though running a new quad-core system.)

-- 2GB memory (I have 6Gb installed on the hardware)

-- Network Address Translation (NAT)

-- I/O Controller: LSI Logic SAS.

-- Create New Virtual Disk. Virtual Disk Type: SCSI.

-- Disk Size 40.GB. Store as Single File. Did not Allocate all now. Allowed to grow dynamically.

-- Go ahead and Create VM

> Right click new VM and choose Settings. In settings,

-- Under Processors, changed Virtualization Engine from "Auto" to "Intel VT-x or AMD-V".  Also checked "Virtualize Intel VT-x/EPD or AMD-V/RVI"

-- Under CD/DVD: Use ISO Image file, and specify the location of your Win8 ISO

-- Under CD/DVD: click Advanced button and set the Virtual Device Node to SCSI, 1:0 CD/DVD(SCSI) (to match my choice of SCSI disk type, earlier.)

-- Next, my theory was to minimize other "auto" or "connect-automatically" settings. So

-- Under Sound Card, Uncheck Connect at power On. Also specify host sound card specifically.

-- Under Printer, Uncheck Connect at power On.

-- Under display, Uncheck "Accelerate 3D graphics".  (At this point, why bother? Need to get it working.)

> Start your VM.  Windows 8 will load and begin to install.

> During Win8 Install, (I don't have this in front of me so doing from memory)

-- When get to the install disk selection, be sure to choose "New" and then Apply the hard disk size setting. This way Win 8 will set up partitions it needs.

-- Through the rest of the setup be minimal, and don't choose settings that don't make sense for a preview/developer/first time use case. I avoided options like Auto-software-update, Sharing, and whatnot.

-- Final note: my installation defaulted to 800x600. After Win8 is up and running, this setting doesn't seem to work - I can't click many of the tiles in the Win8 UI.  Go to the traditional Desktop, right click on it, and adjust the display size to 1024x768 or better, and then it works.

Contrary to other comments about graphics performance, I'm not seeing an issue, but I have a new PC w/ good hardware.

Hope this helps others who were left thinking that Win8 preview didn't work on VMWare.

• Proposed as answer by joediddley Sunday, January 15, 2012 3:51 PM
    • Edited by joediddley Sunday, January 15, 2012 3:54 PM added step
    Sunday, January 15, 2012 3:51 PM