none
A beginners question... RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I'm running out of time attempting to make a small program for a class. Having a little difficulty with one issue.

When I make a simple one-line program just to write on the screen, and ask the users name, when I go to run the program the the program does run correctly BUT the Small Basic Program screen is in the way AND eventually the whole screen shows an error like the program is waiting and in liombo. But it's (I think) because I haven't typed my name into the running program window yet - of course, it's difficult to find because it is hiding behind the SB Window.

Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks

Friday, November 30, 2012 6:45 PM

Answers

• Hi!

It's hard to guess w/o you showing us your source code.

You can run Small Basic programs outside SB's IDE.

Just save your code to a folder, open it, and double-click the .exe file!

Click on "Propose As Answer" if some post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if some post has been useful to you! (^_^)

• Marked as answer by weechva Friday, November 30, 2012 10:41 PM
    Friday, November 30, 2012 7:48 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi!

It's hard to guess w/o you showing us your source code.

You can run Small Basic programs outside SB's IDE.

Just save your code to a folder, open it, and double-click the .exe file!

Click on "Propose As Answer" if some post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if some post has been useful to you! (^_^)

• Marked as answer by weechva Friday, November 30, 2012 10:41 PM
    Friday, November 30, 2012 7:48 PM
    Answerer
  • Thank you, Goto

I think what was happening was that I had other programs running and their windows were open, too.

Thank you for the tip about saving for a .exe file.

Would this executable file run, for example, if you saved it on a flash drive and then opened it up on a school computer which did NOT have the SB operating system on it (local)? In other words, can I take my program anywhere and open it up in a Windows environment to 'run it'?

----

Also, I need some good references for helping teachers to teach this to students. I have the .ppt's MS provides and I also have "Teach Kids Programming" website already.  If you can think of any others, please send them my way.

and...Is there a place where I can work on this program and ask people like you for help if I need it as I go along? I don't want to take up valuable thread space and time.

Friday, November 30, 2012 10:41 PM
  • You can take it on a flash drive to another computer so long as you have the SmallBasicLibrary.dll in that same directory there too. About the references, you can use the Introducing Small Basic .pdf document, the PowerPoint lessons, and/or the online curriculum. Sorry, the .pdf document link does not seem to be working. To get to it, however, you can go to smallbasic.com, and click "Tutorial (PDF)."

I am a 10 year old that loves math, games, and computers. 'Binary is as easy as 1, 10, 11.'

• Edited by Math Man Saturday, December 1, 2012 12:00 AM
    Friday, November 30, 2012 10:58 PM
  • Besides having SmallBasicLibrary.dll in the same folder as the .exe, if it's WinXP (or Win2003), you have to be sure whether .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 is already installed.

But nothing to worry about if it's Win7+ (or Win2012).

P.S.: Maybe Vista (or Win2008) too, but not completely sure which Framework version is installed in this Windows version.

2nd P.S.: Confirmed at Wikipedia, Vista comes pre-installed w/ .Net Framework 3.0 only!

Friday, November 30, 2012 11:41 PM
    Answerer