none
SQL Server Backup file (.bak) Reader RRS feed

• Question

• Generally to get the meta data from SQL Server backup files, we need to use TSQL commands like restore headeronly or restore filelistonly. However, there are some third party tools can read this information directly from the backup files such as sqlBakReader. 

The .BAK file is a microsoft TAPE format file, Here's a PDF that contains the format. However, I am unsure how I would retrieve restore headeronly information by implementing a reader that uses this format specification.

The main reason I would like to implement this by reading a file is because, SQL Server seems to be reading the entire file to get header only information. In my case, I only need the header only information for the first backup set.

Sunday, October 25, 2015 5:01 AM

All replies

• Hello Jangapi,
    Thank you for your inquiry about SQL protocols. We have created an incident for investigating this issue. One of the Open specifications team member will contact you shortly.

Regards,
    Sreekanth Nadendla
    Microsoft Windows Open specifications
    Sunday, October 25, 2015 5:10 PM
  • Hi Jangapi,

I would like to work with you on this issue. Please send email to me at "DocHelp(at)Microsoft(dot)com".

Thanks,
    Jeff McCashland
    Senior Escalation Engineer | Microsoft Windows Open Specifications

[MSFT] Jeff McCashland

Monday, October 26, 2015 7:31 PM
  • Hi Jangapi,

If you would like to pursue this issue, please send email to us at the DocHelp alias as requested above.

Thank you,

Jeff McCashland
    Senior Escalation Engineer | Microsoft Windows Open Specifications

[MSFT] Jeff McCashland

Friday, October 30, 2015 3:26 PM
  • Hi Jangapi,

We closed this case since we did not receive any further (email or post) communication from you, we assumed you no longer needed assistance on this particular inquiry. In the future, should you need help onthe open specifications, please send us your question by email or start a new forum thread and we will be happy to help.

Jeff McCashland | Microsoft Protocols Open Specifications Team

Tuesday, January 5, 2016 10:32 PM