Complete failure to compile when include CSS Friendly Adapters RRS feed

• Question

• User-1700811018 posted

Background - I am trying to use the friendly adapters to override the default styling for the standard asp.net menu control that is used by an existing project.  The existing project functions normally and compiles when requested without incident.  Adding in the code for the for the CSS Friendly adapter and not only does it not compile, but it never even really starts.

The Problem in Detail - I am using the sample code from Scott on this page: http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2006/09/08/CSS-Control-Adapter-Toolkit-Update.aspx.  The sample project compiles fine, just within the existing project does it fail.  Fails without a line number or any other traceable info.  It definately appears to be related to the CSSMenuAdapter.browser file, which has been referenced by others online as the cause of similar error.  I have tried addind and readding, using as a dll, using as a code file in app code, etc.  I have also tried using some other folks sample projects for the same thing, but have the same issue.

I am working with aspdotnetstorefront in this case, although it is not unique to them as I have found other references in software packages online.  Only thing is, no one ever says what solved the issue.  I am using Windows 7, VS2008 Express and SQL Express 2008 R2.

The full error msg is:

Error    10    Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.     

Notice that there is no file, line, or column info.

Really need some help here.  I have been working on this a long time.

Saturday, May 8, 2010 4:53 PM

All replies

• User-630347284 posted

I used the CSS Friendly adapters to render the menu control on an old CMS project i built. I haven't ran into any problems. But first things first is to determin if the problem is related to your current project without CSS friendly, the build you are using of CSS Friendly or a conflict between the two.

Have you checked that the problem is not with the CSSFriendly.dll you are using? Maybe try creating a blank project and include your Menu control and test the current build of CSS Friendly you are using.

Second i would re download it from http://www.asp.net/cssadapters/ also does no harm to disable rendering for all other controls other than the Menu control you are using.

Let me know how you get on after that.. otherwise there is something else within your project that is conflicting with the CSS Friendly Adapter .. which is strange.. but hey! .. that's what keeps it interesting ;)

Cheers

Dave

Saturday, May 8, 2010 5:38 PM
  • User-1700811018 posted

Thanks for your quick response.  I have been searching / struggling for a while now.  My existing project builds without any issues.  The downloaded sample project builds without any issues and I upgrade it to 3.5 as well when I open it the first time.

I am not using the DLL directly, at least not anymore.  Now I am grabbing the code files and inserting them into my app_code folder.  The DLL, download or compiled in sep project and copied in does not seem to make a difference.  I have a

I have also disabled it for all controls other than the menu control by fulling removing those lines.  I have also tried copying it's definitions into the other browser file that is in the project which contains some safari specific definitions.

It would seem that maybe it is the references like this are the issue: <adapter controlType="System.Web.UI.WebControls.Menu" adapterType="AspDotNetStorefront.MenuAdapter" /> from the browser file. 

Dave

Saturday, May 8, 2010 6:35 PM
  • User-630347284 posted

Sorry for the delay in responding.. sort of stumped here.

OKay couple of questions.. When you are getting that error is that when you are running in Debug or just viewing in browser. Also are you using IIS or the built in web service?

Also are you running BOTH projects without modifications. For example running a default Store Front project without modifictions and introduce the CSSFriendly Adapters without modifications. And when i say modifications that includes NOT allowing VS to upgrade the projects to .NET 3.5.

Keep all projects as they are.. Compile the CSSfriendly and also do not modify the browser file. Work with the default settings first.

At the moment though it is sounding like it really isnt anything to do with those projects.. but lets see how we get on!

Cheers

Dave

Monday, May 10, 2010 6:26 PM
  • User-1700811018 posted

Anyone have any suggestions here?  Still havent figured it out.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 2:22 AM
  • User-1700811018 posted

Bump.  This is still an issue.  I am not even sure the best way to proceed on this type of thing, cant even get into the debugging mode.

Ideas?  Things I should try?

Thursday, May 13, 2010 11:39 AM