none
Submit and text box question RRS feed

• Question

• I have deleloped a simple contact infopath form and later will be published to our sharepoint MOSS  2007 site. The form is basically to collect contact info and then send an email to our staff.

We plan to embed the form in a page-viewer web part in the sharepoint site.

One issue is: after clicking submit button, I would like the page direct to our existing thank you page. I cannot find a way to do that in infopath. I can only see 3 options: leave the form open , create a new form, close the form. How can I make it go to another thank-you page after submitting?

The second issue: we have a comment field in the form. I can type unlimited characters in the multiline text box.

But after submitting, I can see in the received email, the text in the text box is cut off. Is there a way to make the text box auto increase its size when there are long texts in it.

Thanks

Friday, June 4, 2010 2:45 PM

Answers

• You should submit the data to SharePoint, not to people via email.  If you only send it via email, then there is no record of it.  It's best to submit the forms to the form library so that the data is available for referencing and reporting.  You can send emails via workflow that link people to the contact info.  That is my suggestion.

Anyway,

1) Then either the form or the form library (or both) is not yet configured to display in the browser.

2) In your submit button, you add a rule that switches to the view - it's a built-in feature.  Do this instead of closing the form, which you must have already set manually, because it doesn't do that by default.

3) Yep.

SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    • Marked as answer by msloy Saturday, June 5, 2010 2:57 AM
    Friday, June 4, 2010 6:55 PM

All replies

• Is this 2007 or 2010?  2007 doesn't have the ability to show forms in a web part.  If you use a page viewer web part, then it just shows your whole SharePoint site within itself.  Can you explain how you're doing it?

When you submit, you can't give it a page to go to, but since this is inevitably a browser form, the link you use for taking people to a new form can have a Source attribute that sends the user back to a pre-defined URL.  Go click New on a browser-enabled form library in SharePoint and look at the URL.  The URL after the Source attribute is where SharePoint sends the user upon closing the form.  You can manually define this location if you are defining the URL that opens the form, but not if they are clicking New.

Another possibility would be to create a new View in the form and switch to that view when the form is submitted instead of closing it.

What kind of data type are you using for that text box?  If you use Rich Text, then the box will expand with the text.  If you use plain text, then the box will not auto-expand and will only show whatever amount fits in the box that you put on the canvas.  However, I think it's a much better idea to send an email with a link to the form instead of sending the form via email.  That way, the data always stays in one place, and everyone sees exactly what is in the form by opening the form.

Friday, June 4, 2010 5:10 PM
  • Thank you, I'm using 2007.

The form is a contact form, it will collect data from users and after users clicking sumbit, the form/data will be sent to our staff.

I tried as you told : "go click New on a browser -enabled form liatry in sharepoint and look at the URL:"

1. But when I click new, why it opens the form in infopath instead of in  browser?

2. the second opion you gave is to create a new view, but how and where I can setup to swith to that view when the form is submitted?

3. I will try to use rich box. that sounds more what I want.

Thanks

Friday, June 4, 2010 6:41 PM
  • You should submit the data to SharePoint, not to people via email.  If you only send it via email, then there is no record of it.  It's best to submit the forms to the form library so that the data is available for referencing and reporting.  You can send emails via workflow that link people to the contact info.  That is my suggestion.

Anyway,

1) Then either the form or the form library (or both) is not yet configured to display in the browser.

2) In your submit button, you add a rule that switches to the view - it's a built-in feature.  Do this instead of closing the form, which you must have already set manually, because it doesn't do that by default.

3) Yep.

• Marked as answer by msloy Saturday, June 5, 2010 2:57 AM
    Friday, June 4, 2010 6:55 PM