Auto Population utilizing the unique ID column RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to take the number from Sharepoint "ID" Column which tracks the unique ID number from the Web URL  and auto populate that number in a seperate column that is serving as my "linked to item" Column.  The idea is that i want to use that id number as a case number that can be tracked on the site. 

I can not use the ID column itself because the title of the column is set and can not be changed and the number is not linked to item when displayed.

Thursday, January 19, 2012 9:12 PM

Answers

• Ah ok i just tried it out. You can you the ID the problem is that when you have a new item .. it won't know what the ID is and the calculated column usually gets all screwed up.  It's suggested that you create a workflow to create that information for the new column.

-tom daly
    • Marked as answer by mjoseph04 Tuesday, January 24, 2012 5:44 PM
    Friday, January 20, 2012 5:24 PM

All replies

• Have you tried using a Calculated Column to generate your unique string for the "linked to item" column?

-tom daly
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 9:19 PM
  • Not yet, how would that work?
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 9:58 PM

• Check out the Text Formulas section

Moderator Note: URL removed as it points to an article about SharePoint Foundation 2010 and is thus off-topic in a pre-SP 2010 forum

you just add a calculated column and build out your formula to create the string you are looking for.

-tom daly
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, January 20, 2012 7:00 AM Moderator Note that URL removed as it points to an article about SharePoint Foundation 2010
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 11:48 PM
  • This doesn't appear to work.  To write a formula you have to use column values.  The ID number can be displayed as a column but it's not recognized as a column in the "columns" edit list. The ID option only appears in the "views" section. 

Friday, January 20, 2012 12:09 AM
  • You can use [ID] to get the id.

-tom daly
    Friday, January 20, 2012 5:01 PM
  • I get the following error:

"The formula contains reference(s) to field(s). "

Friday, January 20, 2012 5:12 PM
  • Ah ok i just tried it out. You can you the ID the problem is that when you have a new item .. it won't know what the ID is and the calculated column usually gets all screwed up.  It's suggested that you create a workflow to create that information for the new column.

-tom daly
    • Marked as answer by mjoseph04 Tuesday, January 24, 2012 5:44 PM
    Friday, January 20, 2012 5:24 PM