HELP - SQL Server Express Install Problems RRS feed

• Question

• The SQL Server Express completed without error. However, when I tried to connect to the SQLEXPRESS instance I received one of those wonderful MS errors, "Specified file not found". WHAT FILE? (After all these years MS still can't figure out how to give an error msg. that provides some hint of what's wrong.)  Going on, I started the install console and selected the REPAIR option.  (It didn't ask what the problem was, it just ran.)  It did ask what instance needed repair.  I told it SQLSERVER.  It proceeded to repairing it.  My first hint that their repair function worked as well as their error handling was when I got the: That share name has already been used (or something like that) error (notice, MS didn't tell me what share name, or what aspect of the db they were talking about).  After pressing OK, the REPAIR function proceeded to run to completion.  When I reviewed the REPAIR report I found that three db processes all had the same SHARE NAME ALREADY USED error.  Actually, I thought that it was no big deal.  If this was a real REPAIR, it shouldn't matter that the name was already used because everything else should be the same.  (I know I'm nigh eve about the Intricacies of SQL server.)  After repairing my installation, I brought up the SQL Server Management Console again.  This time, it did not display SQLEXPRESS in the Connect field.  I selected the drop down list arrow to see if it was listed and the list was blank so I entered SQLEXPRESS in the connect field and clicked on the CONNECT button.  I got a NETWORK PATH NOT FOUND error.  So, before I really mess things up, I thought I should ask if anyone knows what I should do next.  (As an aside, I've pressed the MS Error Message HELP button numerous times abut various errors I've received over the years.  Not only are MS error messages useless, their Help Page has never ONCE been able to provide any information about the encountered error.  MS should spend some time and develop some truly helpful error messages as "File not found" and unknown error code 837289 are absolutely useless and especially since their HELP PAGE is never able to provide any information either.  I do wonder how I can get Unknown Error codes from people who wrote the code that raises the error.  Don't they document anything?) 
    Tuesday, October 21, 2014 2:51 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Can you post screenshot of error please it would help me in better understanding of your problem. Can you also paste file name you downloaded and used for installing SQL Server express that would also be a help.

Please note SQL Server installation is not that easy it requires minimum level of competency to work with SQL Server which I am not aware whether you have or not If you are totally new you might face issue. I would first ask you did you read Hardware and software prerequisites before installing SQL server. Did you followed any official doc before installing SQL express if you did it and still faced error you have every right to complain if you did not then you must not. I agree SQL Server error are misguiding sometimes and Hope MS would take your words as feedback :).

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My Technet Wiki Article

MVP

• Marked as answer by ValiantSon Tuesday, October 21, 2014 12:54 PM
    Tuesday, October 21, 2014 9:50 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Can you post screenshot of error please it would help me in better understanding of your problem. Can you also paste file name you downloaded and used for installing SQL Server express that would also be a help.

Please note SQL Server installation is not that easy it requires minimum level of competency to work with SQL Server which I am not aware whether you have or not If you are totally new you might face issue. I would first ask you did you read Hardware and software prerequisites before installing SQL server. Did you followed any official doc before installing SQL express if you did it and still faced error you have every right to complain if you did not then you must not. I agree SQL Server error are misguiding sometimes and Hope MS would take your words as feedback :).

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My Technet Wiki Article

MVP

• Marked as answer by ValiantSon Tuesday, October 21, 2014 12:54 PM
    Tuesday, October 21, 2014 9:50 AM
  • I did read the requirements and made sure I met them all. The install package I used was: SQLEXPRADV_x64_ENU.exe.  You're correct.  I'm not familiar with SQL Server. 

I downloaded SQL Server Express and Visual Studio Express to learn and explore because I wanted to learn about the new technology.

After leaving my message, I did some more studying and playing with the system.  I managed to figure out that I had to turn on the data base service before I could connect with it.  I'm sorry, I don't understand how Microsoft could install a data base system without turning on its services.  Why would I want to install something and NOT use it?  The default should be ON and the setup manager should provide a choice to set it to OFF on the configuration page.

My experience is rather dated.  I had to retire due to a disability in 2005. I couldn't control my arms and hands.  The doctor recently tried a medication again that I had had a severe negative reaction to.  He first administered steroids and started me on a small dose and titrated it up as I was able to handle it.  Now I have some days where I have pretty good control — I can print a little but can't write well and other days where I can't print, write, or feed myself. 

I have performed many functions.  I have been an analyst, a programmer, a data base designer, and a college professor at three different colleges.  I've done extensive work in process automation and have even automated the management functions for a data base system that was used to schedule every aspect of all the aircraft, ranges, and weapons development processes on Eglin AFB.  I also wrote major pieces of the code used by the system and trouble shot and corrected functions written by other programmers.  The system supported over 300 users a day on two bases.  Unfortunately it was developed in Fortran on a VAX and with VB6 and MS Access using VBA, Queries, Tables and Forms on networked PCs.

I plan to do a lot of reading.  I'll also be looking at the Microsoft sites for a sample DB and lessons to go with it.  I am a little frustrated with how information is organized on the web.  The other night I needed to find some information about something from Microsoft.  It took me almost two hours to ask my question in such a way that MS was able to provide what I wanted.  I kept asking essentially the same thing, but I had to use the exact phrase MS used on the page.  I know MS is big and they support multiple generations of each product.  They have an almost impossible task.  I just have to find the various product entry pages.

Thanks for offering your help.

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 12:53 PM
  • Regarding why SQL server services were stopped after installation my guess is you must have selected startup type as Manual in while installing SQL Server. This is the only reason I can see considering the fact that installation went fine.

My Technet Wiki Article

MVP

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 1:13 PM