How to deal with windows security "protected folder access" feature? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm wondering how to give our windows application access to the user's documents folder when "protected folder acccess" is active.

We are developing a Windows game (currently not UWP) that is distributed through the Steam store.

Since almost a year we are having problems with file/folder access permissions and it looks like I have finally stumbled upon the reason.

The windows security feature "protected folder access" is blocking our game from accessing the user's documents folder. I understand that software should typically use the app-data folder to store data, but for games people are used to access their savegames in the documents folder.

"Protected folder access" is blocking this and there is a high risk that users don't understand the problem and how to manually unblock our game (even if we give them a clear guide many may simply not do it).

Do we need to certify our game or is there something else we can do?

Best, Martin

Wednesday, November 28, 2018 8:47 AM

All replies

• Hello Martin Wahnschaffe,

You can configure "protected folder access" allow your game app.

Please let me know if it helps.

Best regards,

Rita

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 29, 2018 6:43 AM
  • Hi Rita,

I'm not sure if I understand this correctly.

Manually allowing the game app is something that every user of our game would have to do, right?

From my understanding there must be another way. I have a few other games on my system that are accessing this folder as well and don't seem to need permission.

EDIT: I just realized that other games seem to have the same problem. Looks like the solution is to catch any exception in the game and let the user know that the game couldn't access the file system due to missing permission.

Best regards
    Martin

Thursday, November 29, 2018 6:15 PM
  • Hello Martin Wahnschaffe,

>>>Manually allowing the game app is something that every user of our game would have to do, right?

Involve the user to decide if the app can have certain access permission is right direction based on user's data security. For better user experience, maybe send an notification to user when need allow some permission but do this work via app itself when user authorize, instead of let user do this manually.

But if this can be done and how to do this in your app need further investigation.

Best regards,

Rita

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 30, 2018 8:30 AM