Are there any improvements with regard to hosting ActiveX controls in .NET 4.0? RRS feed

• Question

• Currently we use the a few ActiveX controls in our .NET development such as the IE Web Browser Control and the MapPoint Control and I'm curious whether any changes in the .NET Framework 4.0 or within Visual Studio make it easier to work with these types of ActiveX controls.

I guess more specificaly I have two main questions:

1. Has the air space issues when hosting WnForms and ActiveX controls within WPF been fixed or improved?
    2. Is it still required to generate extra interop assemblies in order to host an ActiveX control in a .NET application or has the introduction of DLR and dynamic concepts simplified this any?

Wednesday, March 31, 2010 8:48 PM

Answers

• 1. Try to ask on WPF or WinForms forums. The easiest thing however is to try it.
    2. I don't know what you mean by extra. COM interop assemblies are still needed as the transition between COM and .NET. However you don't have to ship and register them with your application if you use Embedded Interop Types (aka NoPIA). It has nothing to do with DLR and dynamic keyword in C#.

-Karel

Thursday, April 1, 2010 4:27 AM

All replies

• 1. Try to ask on WPF or WinForms forums. The easiest thing however is to try it.
    2. I don't know what you mean by extra. COM interop assemblies are still needed as the transition between COM and .NET. However you don't have to ship and register them with your application if you use Embedded Interop Types (aka NoPIA). It has nothing to do with DLR and dynamic keyword in C#.

-Karel

Thursday, April 1, 2010 4:27 AM
  • Great, thats the type of information I was looking for. I also found another link that describes these features in depth with samples.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd409610.aspx

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 2:02 PM
  • Great, thats the type of information I was looking for. I also found another link that describes these features in depth with samples.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd409610.aspx

Just to clarify, this feature is only available to projects that target the .NET Framework 4.0. From the documentation it sounds more like a compiler feature that should work for older versions of .NET but it looks like there are quite a bit of mentions of requiring non 4.0 apps to still use PIA. Perhaps underneath this does use the DLR and thus requires .NET 4.0?

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 2:02 PM