none
Access 2010 - adding hyperlinks to data in existing table RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I've been searching for an answer on how I can convert a field in existing Access 2010 database table into a hyperlink field. There are multiple fields in the table which I then export and use to create an automated Excel report. The applicable column has a Service Request # (SR). Previously the users were happy copying and pasting the SR number into the application they use to view SR's, but now they want the SR's numbers to be hyperlinks to take them to the specified SR in the app.

What is the best way to accomplish this? I have the address my company would use, but how to I combine the SR number with the hyperlink address? I'm a newbie in Access, I've written regular queries but haven't had to enter complicated expressions in my queries. Is it better to do this in SQL or can an expression be written in the export query?

Lorac1969

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 7:17 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Are you saying you want a hyperlink created in Excel? We generally recommend not using a Hyperlink field in Access, but if having one will automatically convert into a Hyperlink cell in Excel, then I guess you could use it.

To create one, just add a new Hyperlink field in the table and the use an UPDATE query to construct the hyperlink based on the other fields. For example:

UPDATE TableName SET HyperlinkField = "#CompanyAddress" & [OtherFieldHere] & "#"

Hope it helps...

(Make sure you have a back up copy of your database.)

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 7:39 PM
  • Hi Lorac1969,

you had mentioned that,"What is the best way to accomplish this? I have the address my company would use, but how to I combine the SR number with the hyperlink address? "

you can add the hyperlink as suggested by .theDBguy

but I have question, why you want to combine the hyperlink with SR number?

I can understand that with the SR number you can able to find specific record in your app.

but if you combine it with hyperlink then hyperlink will be broken.

or you want to pass the SR number as a parameter value in hyperlink?

if yes , your app have the code to access this parameter value from URL?

you can try to insert the hyperlink to the record that matched with particular SR number or any ID field.

from your description of the thread it is clear that you want to add hyperlink but after that combining it with SR number it is not clear.

if I misunderstand something then please correct me.

if possible for you then try to provide more details about it so that we can try to understand it properly and if possible we can try to reproduce the issue on our side and try to test it.

Regards

Deepak 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 3, 2017 6:18 AM