none
Visual Studio 2015: Redirect/mirror content from Output Window to a file

Question

• Hi,

In Visual Studio there is the Output Window, which is used for some output by Visual Studio it self but it could also be used for debug output etc....

I would like to redirect this output also to a text file.
    No matter where the messages come from (from debug output or Visual Studio(its components)).

Is there a magic way to do so?

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 10:11 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi PKaap,

Thanks for your post.

As far as I know, it's not supported by default. but you can highlight the text in the output window and copy it to the clipboard, then paste it into a text file.

I also did a research for your question. And I found a third party plugin might achieve it.

Please refer to the nobugz's reply in the following link:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/aee82b9e-4159-4832-b265-d93b8622e0de/redirect-debugger-output-to-a-file?forum=vcgeneral

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 4:01 AM
  • Seems Copying won't work if VisualStudio is crashed ...

With the SysInternals' DbgView utility I didn't archive anything.
    Seems there is a lack of functionality in the Product ... 

So this will remain unresolved.

Friday, February 19, 2016 1:47 PM
  • Hi PKaap,

>>Seems Copying won't work if VisualStudio is crashed

If your VS crashed and you want to see some logs. Please run it with logging turned on (devenv /log) in Developer Command Prompt for VS

The logs will be in: %APPDATA%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\Version\ActivityLog.xml. And this file will log all operations when you operate Visual Studio.

For your question, I think the best way is to Copying when your VS works normally.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Monday, February 22, 2016 1:48 AM