HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am designing a website through VWD2005 express edition. The database is handled by SQL server 2005 express edn.

I was able to debug the website till yesterday but today when i am trying to debug the website in localhost it is giving me the following error message:-

HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.  Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly.

VWD is installed in C drive and SQL in D drive.

Please help.
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 10:07 AM

All replies

•  

HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.  Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly.

The link or the message must give you some clue about what is being opened.   What happens if you set  Work Offline?   Otherwise use  ProcMon  to see what the  404 refers to.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---
    Wednesday, March 31, 2010 2:49 AM
  • Thanks! But I am not able to find the reason why I am getting the error message. I think am getting the error message since I have created some users through administrator's website of the login control which I have used in the website.

I have installed SQL server in D: drive and VWD in C: drive. I think there might be a connection.

If anyone has the solution please help. I am still to solve this issue.

Wednesday, March 31, 2010 7:20 AM
  •  

Thanks! But I am not able to find the reason why I am getting the error message.

404 responses don't just come from out of nowhere.   They are a server's response to your request.   Where is the server?   If you have access to it use its log to get more details for your symptom.   Otherwise you might be able to use  Fiddler2   or certainly  WireShark or Netmon  to capture enough trace information about the transaction to similarly fill you in.   My guess is that you are overlooking some easier to use diagnostics but you aren't giving us a clear picture of what you are seeing.   Remember, your words have to substitute for what our eyes might notice.

Good luck

Robert
    ---

Sunday, April 4, 2010 4:17 PM