none
Small Basic Capabilities RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I'm Skrunch, this is my first post.
    I like gaming, and would like to create my own games.
    I tried game maker, flash, C++, and Python but those languages didn't have resources for someone like me.
    Being an 11 year old, I found it hard understanding tutorials and such.
    I came across Small Basic and thought I could give it a try.
    I installed it, and thought the tutorial was very informative and well documented. (Except for some [TODO] on some pages.)

So my question is if Small Basic could be used for making games.
    I don't really care if the games are super-duper-fast,
    but speed would only really matter if it was really really slow.
    I was going through the tutorial, and went through a small part of the graphics section.
    Is there more advanced things, like loading sprites and other things for game creation?

It would be nice if at least it was possible to create a platformer or a RPG.
    Any way to do this with the Graphics library or a different library?

Any help appreciated. :)
    Tuesday, December 30, 2008 3:58 AM

Answers

• Hey, man, if you don't want to get discouraged early on, I really recommend starting with some small projects and working your way up. Let me just say, I don't know what Small BASIC's capabilities are (I'm just getting started with it too), but I do know the bare necessities of what you're trying to accomplish. Although, you're probably better off with RPG Maker VX for what you want to do, but hey, this is your game. You can do what you want.

First, get a good story line working. You can't make a game without knowing what you want it to do.

Second, when programming, start small. Begin with a program that just moves a picture around a window every time you press the arrow keys. Next, change the program so that it changes the picture to a different one while it's moving, but back to the original when it's standing still. Then you'll want to put other pictures than stay still underneath (i.e. your floor) while the other picture (i.e. your hero) moves around. Also, you'll want to want to look into putting words on the screen when people talk. That'll take a while, but you can do it if you try.

Third, get pictures to work with. For a good RPG, you'll need images to work with. I recommend Googling RPG Sprites or RPG Backgrounds. Lots of people have free images available for making your own RPG, and that's important if you don't want to do all that yourself - and trust me, you really don't.

Fourth, get programs to work with your pictures. I haven't looked through Small Basic's capabilities yet, but you may need some programs to change the pictures to different file types or just something to change them up a bit. I recommend Irfanview (if you just want to look over or convert the files), The GIMP , or Paint.NET . I recommend getting at least two.

Fifth, and this is really REALLY important, you'll want to write a script file that your program can read and understand. The program will need to read the script file and be ready to do things like putting a person at this location, and if the hero talks to them, the program needs to make the person say something. It's actually like a web page. Web pages aren't actual programming code that the computer can understand, but your web browser can read them, and put the words and pictures where they need to be. Your script file will be like that only a bit more complicated.

Sixth, and this will be maybe 6 months to a year later, but you'll want to add sounds and music to your game. You probably won't have the ability to work with MP3s on your game so you'll probably need to work with WAV's and MID's (.MID or MIDI is a music format that is concerned with instruments and notes instead of voices or singing). MIDI's you can find pretty easily on the Web since many people are willing to share. (Google MIDI music). WAV's might be harder, and you might want to make your own. Set up a micro phone and get a good sound program like Audacity.

Lastly, you're going to need help. You might want to bring in someone from school or a neighbor down the street (but not people you meet on the Net). Be patient with your buddy if you do even if his or her ideas don't exactly match up with yours. Without someone to work with and keep you motivated, you probably won't get it done. So getting something done, even if it's different from what you wanted, is better than getting nothing done.

Good luck!

EDIT: Found this site. It looks helpful. Alexander's RPG Maker List

Know this that every soul is free.
    Tuesday, December 30, 2008 3:34 PM
  • Hi Skrunch,

Welcome to the Small Basic forums.

Small Basic is a general purpose programming language with some rich, but simple libraries.  The capabilities of Small Basic lie mostly on the extensiveness of the libraries.  The default libraries allow you to do some fundamental but powerful graphics manipulations.  You can use these to create simple games.  Also, there are plans to work on a sprite based library that would allow people to write more complex and character based games. 

However, for the time being you have to work with the default library.  That said, there have been lots of examples of people writing some very creative games using this library.  For example check out the tetris game that is featured in our blogs:  http://blogs.msdn.com/smallbasic

Also, there's a full thread dedicated to user written samples, some of which are games.

Good luck!
    Tuesday, December 30, 2008 9:47 AM

All replies

• Hi Skrunch,

Welcome to the Small Basic forums.

Small Basic is a general purpose programming language with some rich, but simple libraries.  The capabilities of Small Basic lie mostly on the extensiveness of the libraries.  The default libraries allow you to do some fundamental but powerful graphics manipulations.  You can use these to create simple games.  Also, there are plans to work on a sprite based library that would allow people to write more complex and character based games. 

However, for the time being you have to work with the default library.  That said, there have been lots of examples of people writing some very creative games using this library.  For example check out the tetris game that is featured in our blogs:  http://blogs.msdn.com/smallbasic

Also, there's a full thread dedicated to user written samples, some of which are games.

Good luck!
    Tuesday, December 30, 2008 9:47 AM
  • The code of the week this week is a tetris game, so it is possible to create simple graphic games. It would be fairly easy to make a text based RPG though. 
    Tuesday, December 30, 2008 1:46 PM
  • Hey, man, if you don't want to get discouraged early on, I really recommend starting with some small projects and working your way up. Let me just say, I don't know what Small BASIC's capabilities are (I'm just getting started with it too), but I do know the bare necessities of what you're trying to accomplish. Although, you're probably better off with RPG Maker VX for what you want to do, but hey, this is your game. You can do what you want.

First, get a good story line working. You can't make a game without knowing what you want it to do.

Second, when programming, start small. Begin with a program that just moves a picture around a window every time you press the arrow keys. Next, change the program so that it changes the picture to a different one while it's moving, but back to the original when it's standing still. Then you'll want to put other pictures than stay still underneath (i.e. your floor) while the other picture (i.e. your hero) moves around. Also, you'll want to want to look into putting words on the screen when people talk. That'll take a while, but you can do it if you try.

Third, get pictures to work with. For a good RPG, you'll need images to work with. I recommend Googling RPG Sprites or RPG Backgrounds. Lots of people have free images available for making your own RPG, and that's important if you don't want to do all that yourself - and trust me, you really don't.

Fourth, get programs to work with your pictures. I haven't looked through Small Basic's capabilities yet, but you may need some programs to change the pictures to different file types or just something to change them up a bit. I recommend Irfanview (if you just want to look over or convert the files), The GIMP , or Paint.NET . I recommend getting at least two.

Fifth, and this is really REALLY important, you'll want to write a script file that your program can read and understand. The program will need to read the script file and be ready to do things like putting a person at this location, and if the hero talks to them, the program needs to make the person say something. It's actually like a web page. Web pages aren't actual programming code that the computer can understand, but your web browser can read them, and put the words and pictures where they need to be. Your script file will be like that only a bit more complicated.

Sixth, and this will be maybe 6 months to a year later, but you'll want to add sounds and music to your game. You probably won't have the ability to work with MP3s on your game so you'll probably need to work with WAV's and MID's (.MID or MIDI is a music format that is concerned with instruments and notes instead of voices or singing). MIDI's you can find pretty easily on the Web since many people are willing to share. (Google MIDI music). WAV's might be harder, and you might want to make your own. Set up a micro phone and get a good sound program like Audacity.

Lastly, you're going to need help. You might want to bring in someone from school or a neighbor down the street (but not people you meet on the Net). Be patient with your buddy if you do even if his or her ideas don't exactly match up with yours. Without someone to work with and keep you motivated, you probably won't get it done. So getting something done, even if it's different from what you wanted, is better than getting nothing done.

Good luck!

EDIT: Found this site. It looks helpful. Alexander's RPG Maker List

Know this that every soul is free.
    Tuesday, December 30, 2008 3:34 PM
  • Thanks for all the explanations guys.
    I'm going to look through the list of "RPG Makers" and such.
    I really want to learn something that gets me started on programming so I can move on to something better. :)
    Tuesday, December 30, 2008 5:09 PM