none
Bad URL in the Error dialog for ClickOnce

Question

• So, there's some sort of error in the ClickOnce setup. (I haven't resolved it yet, but that's a separate problem)

Whenever there's some sort of problem where the ClickOnce setup on a user's machine fails, it brings up a dialog. In my case, the dialog looks like this:
    Name:  ClickOnce App cannot start.JPG
Views: 16
Size:  23.0 KB

What is the URL in the Click here part of the dialog? If I click it, it goes to some malware site that loads my browsers with hundreds of tabs and I have to start the browser in safe mode to get rid of them all. A very bad URL to have a user click on - most think they just downloaded a virus!
    I have no idea what this actual link URL is but it's bad.

Is this URL set in my ClickOnce properties somewhere? Can I just get rid of the Click here link or change it to my support page?

In the Publish Options of my application, I have the Error URL as my homepage, so that doesn't seem to be the URL it's using.

-Andy.

• Edited by Meestor_X Friday, February 2, 2018 6:48 PM
    Friday, February 2, 2018 6:45 PM

All replies

• Hi Andy,

I'm afraid the dialog is created from the clickonce system, you can not change it by default, but I can not reproduce that clicking the URL will output a lot of websites, what are they?

In general, you can click the "Details" button for more information about this error.

Regards,

Stanly

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 5, 2018 1:46 AM
  • Thank you for your reply!

What IS the URL of the "click here" link?

-Andy.

Wednesday, February 7, 2018 5:19 PM
  • Hi Andy,

I mean what does the link show?

And as I said above, you can click the "Details" button for more information about this error.

Regards,

Stanly

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 8, 2018 1:44 AM
  • Thank you for your reply. The details are not the issue, it’s the fact that the “click here” link goes to a very bad place, requiring me to close and then restart my browser in safe mode to clear the hundreds of tabs created. I have no idea what the link is. So... how do I find out how this link is created and what it is and how to change it?

-Andy.

• Edited by Meestor_X Thursday, February 8, 2018 6:27 AM
    Thursday, February 8, 2018 6:24 AM
  • Hi Andy,

I'm not sure what is it, I have never encountered such a situation that there is a bad URL as you said, and as I said above, the dialog is created by ClickOnce system, you can not change it.

Have you try to publish your application with another computer?

Regards,

Stanly

MSDN Community Support

Friday, February 9, 2018 7:01 AM